Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't play cda files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robway

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
AU
I'm trying to play commercial bought audio CDs, but get no sound. I have an ancient system - Windows 95 - and we just loaded an older version of Windows Media Player thinking the latest version was less likely to be compatible).

I get all the beeps and fanfares that MS inflicts on us with no problems.

MS Knowledge Base article 298845 gave instructions for Windows 98 which should fix it which I've done, but it didn't help.

My employer's tehnicians have tried to fix it but have gone away shaking their heads muttering about upgrading. Is that the only way out? Although I've seen that some people are having the same problem even with ME and Media Player 9.

Two points that might be worth considering :

1) Is your CD drive linked via audio cable to your sound card ? I think that music from the CD drive is sent directly to the sound card via the cable. If you do not have the cable, then you won't hear the sound.

2) Is the CD a new one ? Can you try with older ones and does it do the same ? Do not forget that some new CDs are locked and will not play on the PC.

pmonett is right on. When you play an audio CD, sound travels via analog over an audio cable that runs from the back of the CD-ROM to the sound card.

Other formats like MP3's on a CD will travel over the IDE cable through your system to the sound card - digital. That is why they work, but CDA files do not.

Upgrading the OS should not make a difference.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks guys. We'll test those suggestions out.

I've had a look at another Knowledge Base article - 234019 - which lists the formats that Media Player supports and cda files are not there. Could it be that Media Player just won't play these files?

Nope, Media Player can play audio CD's no problem. If you still think it's a software issue, download and install another player like Winamp.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back