Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant ping my gateway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdcatl

ISP
Jan 16, 2003
US
Here is the deal.... I recently contracted a Klez virus, and finally got my PC fully clensed from that. The virus in the process of all the crap it did, it deleted a file from zone alarm pro i was running, and i figure this is why i cant access the internet, let alone ping my gateway.

I manually deleted zone alarm, and ran norton against my PC, and everything seems clean. However, when I try to access the internet, still no luck. I have uninstalled drivers, disabled, enabled the NIC, here is kind of the wierd thing, i can release/ renew my address from my linksys which acts as a DHCP server, well its not so wierd, becasue DHCP happens at layer 2. But i just can not ping my gateway, or anything beyond my gateway.

When I reboot my machine, ( i was running a ping -t against it with another box i have), i would get about 8-12 good echo replies from the PC, and then some service I suppose would start up, and my echo requests would time out again.

If anyone has any ideas, I am more than interested, I am at my wits end, i really dont want to rebuild, i really just want to recover. I am running win XP, with lynksys NIC, Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

if you do end up rebuilding, get Norton Ghost and make a 'ghost image' when u have a fully working (b4 u add extra software) internet accessing, network accessing pc.

It'll save a lot of time if u ever need to reinstall in the future. It takes me about
7 mins to for ghost to reload me c: drive from an image.

===============
Security Forums

Have you been to the zone alarm site? Read about deleting 2 files under your windows/internet logs directories before uninstalling zone alarm. This might be where to start. I have a similar problem but that is where it started also by a client trying to remove zone alarm.

Every time I have encountered a virus, I always cleanse the machine first and do the backup, format, and reinstall drill. If you ask me, it saves alot of time now and in the future.

-wookalar

Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and your ip address? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

If you have tried all the normal routines and you are having intermittent problems (ping), then I would suspect it is a tcp/ip stack problem. In WIN XP, it happens and try reinstalling tcp/ip itself.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back