Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Ping LocalHost, but can hit the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJoshua

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2001
US
Background
Machine1:
Brand new Intel D845WN P4 Motherboard
Intel Pro/100 VE LAN Card
Windows 2000 (no SP, just installed it)
TCP + NetBios Enabled
LinkSys Router, DHCP Enabled and working.

Have 2 other machines on the network, an XP test machine (Machine2), and W2K Server (Machine3) test machine.

Problem:
The machines 2 and 3 can ping Localhost and each other and get onto the Internet, and map drives to each other.
Machine 1 can ping machines 2 and 3 (by IP address) and also get onto the Internet, but cannot ping itself or Localhost or map drives to anything or have its drives mapped.

Here’s the routeprint:
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x1000003 ...00 03 47 c2 92 32 ...... Intel(R) PRO Adapter
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.168.1 192.168.168.104 1
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.168.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.168.104 192.168.168.104 1
192.168.168.104 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.168.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.168.104 192.168.168.104 1
224.0.0.0 224.0.0.0 192.168.168.104 192.168.168.104 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.168.104 192.168.168.104 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.168.1
Persistent Routes:
None

Here’s IPCONFIG/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : djop4
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mediaone.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mediaone.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-47-C2-92-32
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.130.1.32
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 02, 2001 9:28:57 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 03, 2001 9:28:57 AM

I tried reinstalling TCP.

This looks like something simple, but??

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

-=david=-

Note, just for clarity, the LAN card is built-in.

have you tried configuring machine 1 manually (i.e. static ip configuration)?
If no try it and without atteching to network try pinging machine 1 own IP address. As if configuration seems very much perfect, still you can try this.

Sanyog,

Thanks for your message!

Good idea. Was thinking about that, but forgot to try it.

So I set a fixed IP address (192.168.168.5) and verified that I could still connect to the Internet.

I then disconnected from the network, rebooted and when it came up it said LAN cable detached, and there was NO IP address.

I tried "Ping Localhost", didn't work.

I plugged in the network cable, and did IPCONFIG and it looked OK, but Ping Localhost still didn't work, nor did pinging my IP address.

Any other ideas?

thanks!

-=david=-

Check for your hosts file in

c:\%windir%\system32\drivers\etc

Make sure there is an entry in for

127.0.0.1 localhost

You can also attempt to ping 127.0.0.1 and see if you receive a response from the local workstation. DNS is not involved looking up the host name LocalHost, if I'm not mistaken its resolved in the hosts file. Looking at your active routes you have the address for the localhost so if you can ping 127.0.0.1 but not "Ping localhost" then it has to be the problem with the Hosts file....Let me know if this helps you out....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Sobak,

Thanks for your idea.

I do have a hosts file with "localhost" in it and I had tried to ping that and 127.0.0.1 and neither respond.

I spent 3 hours on the phone today with an expert from ExpertCity.com doing all kinds of testing, including disabling the onboard LAN card and trying another known-working NIC, and stil had the same problem. We decided it was a hardware problem.

I finally found the phone number for Intel tech support and after paying $25 to talk to tech support (!), they told me to test to another computer with a crossover cable, which I didn't have. So they said I could use a hub and two computers, which I did, but by then, 5 minutes later, they were closed. Argh.

-=david=-

David,

Okay, you got me on this one. I searched Microsoft's web site and found some information regarding some MTU size issues with Windows 2000. The TID goes on to say that data transfers using the loopback address are slow, I know you are having a problem pinging the local host but it may be that the ping hits the timeout before the localhost replies. Try setting the timout yourself, you can use the timeout switch on the ping command.....

ping -w 1600 localhost

The ping request will wait 1600 MS before timing out, you can adjust this as needed to increase the timeout, if it is the MTU size issue and the localhost is responding slow this should get you a reply at least.

A quick look at the web site looks like they have a patch out for it, take a look at it and see if installing the patch helps.

The other thing I would do is apply the service pack before installing the above patch. Of course I've never had any issue with this before but I find it hard to think it's hardware related. You can try a "TRACERT Localhost" and see if for some reason the system is resolving localhost properly. If you do a TRACERT Localhost you should receive something like this as output....

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms C-4265 [127.0.0.1]

If you receive the above information that means that your system is resolving the LocalHost name correctly. Also make sure your computer name is correct, mine is C-4265 so I know it's local to my system. Try these and update your post, I would love to know the outcome of any of the above. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

David,

Well, I finally got it figured out, and I am kicking myself somewhat...

When I got this motherboard, it came with a CDROMfull of software. I just installed everything that came with the board.

Today, I got an Intel motherboard tech on the phone who told me that one of these program, Norton Anti-Virus, interferred with TCP. GREAT!! Why isn't there a technote on that on their site, and WHY are they shipping software that BREAKS the networking on their motherboard.

I was about to take the motherboard back thinking that it was a hardware problem.

I deinstalled Norton and everything now works great!

Thanks for your assistance, though. I really appreciate it!

I should have know better than to do ANY debugging with virus protection installed, but I am glad I had it installed because someone sent me a virus yesterday, and it caught it.

Now I have SP2 installed, so I am going to try to install Norton again and see if I still have the problem.

Thanks!

-=david=-

Cool glad that everything is working for you....I myself would have never though that norton would cause a localhost problem. I think this is a good one for the books.....

david e

I had the same problem: I could not
ping to localhost, or access my xp computer
through NetBios. I just deactivated
Norton Internet Security and the
problem was over.
I guess there must be a way to fine tune
Norton Internet Security, though.

Regards,

Jorge

When will people learn!?!

Sorry about your bad experience, DavidJoshua.

I tell everyone to avoid Norton &quot;burglar tools&quot; like the plague. Of course nobody wants to be bare-butt open to viruses, and I don't recommend any one over another, but it seems like it is just one thing after another with Norton products.

Maybe it is only because they're so prevelant, perhaps it is Norton per se.

These things that &quot;hook into&quot; the OS seem to cause no end of troubles though.

I got the same ping problem when I installed IBM HTTP Server. The HTTP Server service couldn't start because it complained about can't read memory at 0x20. Then I tried to see if network worked well and found can't ping localhost or the IP assigned to. I disabled norton anti-virus and it still does not work.

I still can ping other machines and go to internet.

The event view shown &quot;could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{xxxxx}

I use Windows 2000 Pro, all critical updates.

Any one can help?

Thanks,

Polya

David

I can see you know a lot about TCP IP. I wonder whether you cn help me.
I am working on an assignment for University and I am desperately trying to find the answer to one question. Below is what I haven't been able to understand. I would really appreciate if you could help me.

What happens when you ping the ip address of your own machine? What is the difference between loopback test and pinging your own IP address in terms of what the host does? And where does the packet goes in the TCP IP stack? In both cases it should not leave the host’s network interface card. Isn’it?
When you ping your IP address, does IP use loopback drivers to reroute outgoing packets back to the source computer? (like in the loopback test) What is the difference?
Do you ping your IP address to test that the hosts’ NIC (Network Interface Card) drivers are installed correctly and that therefore the host can be reached on the network?
Where does IP resolves the destination IP address of the packet to the destination MAC address when a packet is sent by a host to itself? I know IP addresses are mapped to MAC addresses in every computer but how does IP get to know the MAC address?
This is my interpretation (probably wrong!):
Once the packet goes down to the Data Link layer, TCP IP finds corresponding MAC address for that IP address as the network interface card has been mapped to that IP address. At this point the packet is passed back up the stack again for processing at the same host.
So only at the Data Link layer, where MAC addresses are recognized by TCP IP, the host identifies that the packet is addresses to itself.

Can you help at all? The information on the not helped me so far.

Thank you so much for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back