Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping DHCP although I get a valid IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2001
BE
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me how to troubleshoot the following problem:
My internet connection was working fine, DNS, DHCP was working properly and I was trying to set up Routing and Remote Access which kinda worked (I could connect but I got a protocol error on several machines). Then I reboot the server (because of an application hang that messed up the system) and afterwards I wasn't able to connect the internet.
I got a valid IP from my provider's cable modem (somewhere in the range 84.196.254 ). At first I wasn't able to ping an internetaddress such as but I couldp ping the DNS from my provider (195.130.129.162).
Then the next day or so pinging the DNS stopped working, but I could still ping the DHCP.
Now I can't even ping the gateway anymore.

This is my setup:
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server, 2 Nic : 1 onboard which I use as internal connection (and works fine) and the other one, a dlink DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet, which worked well previously in another machine with SBS2003.
At the moment I'm connect with my laptop so I can compare the IP results.

I hope someone can point me a little in the right direction.
I've tried troubleshooting with Wireshark, but other then interpreting some traffic like dhcp request and ack's, I'm not very strong with that. But I can still post some if that would help...

Thanks in advance !
:)

Sam

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Suggestion here why not purchase a router rather than using the server.

What are you exact config in Routing and Remote Access? Also is there is a firewall make sure that is configured correctly.

The problem seems to be solved. When setting up the network connections I filled in the server's ip as gateway in the LAN connection. That was the reason I couldn't ping anything on the WAN side.

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back