Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping but netbios works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

amueller

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2001
US
I am having problems getting a computer back to the internet after a client tried to load Norton's Firewall 2003 over NAV 2001 and ZoneAlarm 2.1. I have since reloaded and unloaded properly both Zone Alarm and Norton's Firewall. I have removed and reloaded TCP/IP also. Another problem I had found was @home software was still installed on a mediacom network. This I also removed. According to Mediacom all my network settings are correct. According to them the computer connects then disconnects as if a firewall were still coming up. Any suggestions about things to look for that I haven't mentioned? Any and all suggestions are welcome but time is short and I really don't want to relaod from scratch. Thanks in advance.

What exactly does 'can't ping' mean? Ping returns several different error messages. The error can go a long way toward resolving issues.

A ping command from a dos prompt. I can't even ping the gateway on the next computer, but I can see it through an IPX connection. It has to be a corrupted file somewhere. I have overlayed the windows files and still it won't work with TCP/IP so it's off a full backup of files and a new load, and a rebuild of all applications.

amueller,
it would really help us to now how you use ping an what error (if any) it gives you??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Zonealarm is notorious for locking down peoples network connections after an uninstall. In the instances I have had this problem I resolved it by installing Zonealarm again, restarting the machine and uninstalling it.

Hope you have some luck.

1) ping 127.0.0.1
2) ping ipaddress
3) let us know if your using dhcp, dns, wins, all the basic stuff.
4) do ipconfig /all and see what the results are compared to a different machine that is on the internet.
5) forget about zone alarm, anti-virus and any other software. The above will give you the basics which is where we need to start.

post the results of the above here so we know what the real problem might be. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Ok first I am not using DHCP but have assigned IP Addresses server and gateway is 192.168.0.1 other stations are varied between 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.20 but the one in question has 192.168.0.29. My server firewall has 192.168.0.1 thru 192.168.0.60 as locals and are opened for sharing. DNS is set on all at 192.168.0.1. this works on all other computers I have (5) on the network. Using other protocols I can see all machines including the one at 192.168.0.29. Without TCP/IP though I cannot get Internet access. The error I get is &quot;request timed out&quot; when trying to ping the gateway @ 192.168.0.1. Pinging 127.0.0.1 returned a &quot;reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms ttl=128&quot;. ipconfig /all did't show any differences except for static ip address. Thanks for your help.

192.168.0.29 Did you ping this address? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
&quot;Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.&quot;
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

ping the 192.168.0.29 from another pc, does that work?
And take of the IPX while you try that, that is just confusing things.
Did you follow Grenage's tip? It does happen that an uninstall of ZoneAlarm without freeing everything first locks certain activities, like ping! If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

I can ping 192.168.0.29 from that machine but not from other machines on the network. Zone Alarm was uninstalled improperly by the client, reinstalled by me(without the ability to connect to the internet) and uninstalled properly,removing the log files first and verifying they were gone afterwards. I am assuming this is a zonealarm uninstall problem actually but I can't figure out where the problem is. My host and lmhost files are ok too. I have to get this going and fdisk and starting from scratch is probably going to be the only feasable solution, since I am on a limited time frame. Thanks for all your help guys, I have been learning a lot this weekend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back