Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping but can get on the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

menjy

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hi all:

We have a 5 computer network (all Win98SE's). One computer can get on the Internet, see all the other computers on the workgroup but is unable to get pinged. I've removed TCP/IP settings and re-installed. I've changed IP addresses on it, still to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks for the forum

Be sure that all the cables work properly..
But my guess is that if it sees the others but the others can't see it is to re-install the Network card driver and all the TCP/IP settings...if that doesn't work i would go ahead and install WIN98SE over again..if that still doesn't work try changing the card...but my best guess is that your prob. is software related.
Hope I was of some help...:) & sorry for the bad english. If you can't convince'em confuse'em

MENJY,

Not sure I understand all of what you say.

Only one of the five computers can get on the internet?
Only one of the five can see the others on the network?
I assume you are referring to the same computer in both the above. The computer referenced can not be pinged from the other four?

Please answer the following:
[ul][li]How are the computers networked together? Hub? Switch?[/li]
[li]How is the network connected to the internet? Is it a router? Internet Connection Sharing? A proxy?[/li]
[li]How are the IP addresses assigned on all the computers? Static addresses or DHCP?[/li]
[li]What happens when you try to ping the referenced computer from one of the others?[/li]
[li]Can the other computers ping each other?[/li]
[li]What happens when you try to access the internet from the other computers?[/li]
[li]On the referenced computer, open an MD-DOS Prompt and type "ipconfig /all". Copy the response by using the mouse to select the response and right-clicking in the banner/marquee. Choose Edit and Copy. Then paste the contents into a post back here.[/li][/ul]

The Old Man

I have a similar problem. a notebook installed with Windows 2000 Professional Edition. it can ping other computers and
the proxy servers and dns servers.But it can't be pinged
and it can't join our NT domain.

I have a similar problem. a notebook installed with Windows 2000 Professional Edition. it can ping other computers and
the proxy servers and dns servers.But it can't be pinged
and it can't join our NT domain.

epi,

Does the Win2K system have any personal firewall software (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, etc.) installed? Check the security settings, if running. If no, then I need more info. Same questions as above for menjy.

The Old Man

Menjy and epi....Do you have internal dns servers? If so add the machines to the DNS servers or do a ipconfig /registerdns. See if you can resolve the machine in questions name from a command prompt from known working computers. Can the other machines ping each other? Can they ping their loopback (127.0.0.1). Can the machine in question ping itself? If it can then look between that machine and the others. Are there any protcols on these machines that are not used that can be dumped? If it cant ping itself then it is an IP fault on that machine....hope this helps...if not let me know

Here's my problem:
I originally installed DSL with SBC (Pac Bell)'s program. Then, when I chose to network the house I got a router. Now, my laptop works fine on the router; but the desktop (which originally had SBC's software on it) has troubles. It cannot ping anything, outside the router, my laptop, or the router itself. Internet Explorer doesn't work, it won't find any pages. BUT Netscape 6.2 works... sort of. Usually it loads part of the default Netscape.com page; I can get limited use of Google and Hotmail out of it. If I try more than 1 search thru Google the system takes forever to find the search.

Got any ideas? I'm at frank_symptoms@hotmail.com

BTW the laptop works great on this system.

menjy, check ip settings on all 5 PC. I encountered this problem and found out that the PC I cannot ping has the same IP address with a print server(hp jetdirect). Windows did not detect the conflict.

I have recently resolved a similar problem. I couldn't ping from my desktop,nor be seen by any other system Pinging it. I couldn't even ping the firewall router, or get into the firewall to change settings!!Yet I could get onto the Internet from the desktop.The problem comes from using a software based firewall problem. My fwall was ZONEALARM.
This sets some of the startup files such that you cannot use the utility at all! Ping is one of these.
To fix this:
at the START menu, select RUN
enter msconfig
select the Startup tab
You will then see a list of startup programs, with check boxes. Uncheck all the boxes that apply to ZONEALARM. Then reboot.
I did this and now I can ping.

I have recently resolved a similar problem. I couldn't ping from my desktop,nor be seen by any other system Pinging it. I couldn't even ping the firewall router, or get into the firewall to change settings!!Yet I could get onto the Internet from the desktop.The problem comes from using a software based firewall problem. My fwall was ZONEALARM.
This sets some of the startup files such that you cannot use the utility at all! Ping is one of these.
To fix this:
at the START menu, select RUN
enter msconfig
select the Startup tab
You will then see a list of startup programs, with check boxes. Uncheck all the boxes that apply to ZONEALARM. Then reboot.
I did this and now I can ping.

The above notes were helpful to me because it led me to resolve my problem which was that I couldn't ping my w2k server from my linux box which were both connected to isp via linksys router.
The answer was that my company's vpn software which I installed in order to access the company's private network; prevented me from pinging. The troublesome part is that this is the Cisco VPN service that starts automatically even if I have no plans to log into my company's network. I suppose I could put the service on manual and start it every time I log in, but what a pain. Anyway, thanks everyone for pointing me to the cause.

had this problem last week myself, here is what i came up with and how i took care of it....

I could ping using the numbered addresses, but it would not work if I pinged the url
ie: yahoo.com would not work, but 64.58.79.230 would... "the numbered address for yahoo.com"

the winsock2 registry entries and dll's had become corrupt.
I tried using google to find a program and did. It didn't work in my case, So I had to format my drive and reinstall everything, a big pain, but it worked!

If you would like to give the program a try, go to google.com, type in FIX WINSOCK
look for
PCSC - Internet - Winsock Fix
... Instructions for the Winsock 2 Fix: IMPORTANT: w2fix.exe ONLY WORKS for Windows
98, 98SE, and Windows Millennium: Download w2fix.exe to the desktop. ...
- 8k - Cached - Similar pages

go to the site and follow ALL directions. If this doesn't work for you , then just do what I did. If it does work, glad to have helped you out :)

Here is the (long) answer and solution:
"I had this problem and finally found a solution. A week ago, I installed a new lan card (RealTek compatible 8029) and after, it caused problems with TCP/IP Sockets. Some things worked (ping) and some did not (ftp localhost returned a 10047 (WSAEAFNOSUPPORT) or sometimes a 10044 (WSAESOCKTNOTSUPPORT). Other utilities reported various errors relating to being unable to open a socket or that TCP/IP was not installed.
Dial-up connections worked - I was able to connect to the Internet but not able to surf or use the other Internet apps (email, agent, etc).

The Microsoft Knowledgebase ( mentioned similar problems but no resolution that solved the problem (uninstall TCP/IP and Dial-up Networking then re-installing them). Reinstall of Win98 (Win98SE in my case) also did not cure the problem. Comparing files with a working system and replacing them did not cure the problem. I assumed the problem was registry-related.

I had another partition with Win2000 RC2 and it worked fine, that's how I was able to connect to the Internec and finally find the solution in Deja.com. Unfortunately, Win2000 does not support my SB1000 cable modem, but that's another story.

The solution is pretty easy and is described below, based on another's post:

===================

BELOW IS A POSSIBLE RESOLUTION TO THE WINSOCK FAILURE PROBLEM. THE PROCEDURE IS DESCRIBED IN ABBREVIATED FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE.

The solution was posted on the microsoft.public.win98.performance newsgroup under the Subject "DUN Win98 - Socket connections error." Below is a version of the instructions, re-numbered to better reflect discrete steps. If you need more details on performing the procedure, let me know. Good luck!

Roger T. Imai
Nashville TN
rtimai@REMOVEmindspring.com

PROBLEM: INSTALLING WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION CAUSES WINDOWS SOCKETS TO FAIL

Windows 98 2nd Edition installation caused Winsock-TCP/IP to stop working, disabling Internet-based communication client software.

The problem may also occur under the original Windows 98 if the "128-bit Encryption Support for Dialup Networking 1.3" Update is installed, then subsequently uninstalled from Control Panel, Add/Remove.

SYMPTOMS

After installing Windows 98 Second Edition, Winsock clients may report the following errors:

* Internet Explorer 5.0: "Cannot Find Server or DNS Error,"

* Outlook 98: "The server could not be found. (Account 'MindSpring Mail Server', POP3 Server: 'pop.mindspring.com', Error Number 0x800ccc0d)."

* FTP client WS_FTP (if used): "FTP Failed 'createsocket' - address not supported."

Windows 98 Dialup Networking may connect normally to the ISP with "Password Authentication Protocol" and "TCP/IP" listed in the "Connected To..." window under the Modem icon in the System Tray. Modem Diagnostics and the Modem Session Log may report no error conditions.

Other procedures provided by the Windows 98 Troubleshooter Wizards do not resolve the symptoms.

--------
RESOLUTION

1. Remove DUN from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup tab, click (don't un-check) Communications then click the Details button and un-check Dial-up Networking. Click OK to close with windows.

2 Ignore prompt to Restart

3. Run regedit from the Start->Run box. Delete Winsock and Winsock2 branches from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

4. Run AUTODIAL.REG (see below). This puts back a few items into the registry deleted in step 3. Run it by finding it in explorer and double-clicking it.

5. Restart Windows

6. Reinstall DUN similar to how you removed it in step 1. (you will be prompted for the Windows 98 CD)

7. Restart Windows

Winsock functions should be restored.

CONTENTS OF AUTODIAL.REG

Create a file called AUTODIAL.REG somewhere with the lines between the dash lines below.

--------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock\Autodial] "AutodialDllName32"="url.dll"
"AutodialFcnName32"="AutodialHookCallback"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"EnableAutodial"=hex:01,00,00,00

---------------------------------

===================

The procedure described above did solve my problem. One point, I checked what happened to the registry when I ran the AUTODIAL.REG and noted that it did not install the "AutodialDllName32"="url.dll" entry like I thought it should so I did it manually after running the .REG and noticing it was missing the key. I am not sure if it is required. Regedit lets you create keys and values.

Good Luck - I will post this at various places. I would not have been able to resolve this problem without the help from others that post solutions on Usenet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back