Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant ping bcm400

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulistic

Technical User
Feb 7, 2008
US
K, so we lost power to the whole island for 4 hours and the battery backup failed. now I have the following issues:

I remove the lan cable from the lan ports and the lights for the lan ports remain lit. I have a packet analyzer and I get no packets coming from the lan ports. all the leds on the front of the bcm are flashing in unison. I cant log in with **266344. voicemail doesnt work, auto attendant doesnt work... probably a bad tray? the tray was already swapped when it was installed in 05, though.

so im going to take a look at the tray but I dont know how.. do I remove the black screws while the power is on? where is the plug for the vga monitor to look for errors? how can I be sure its not a bad hard drive. are there any other cards that could be acting up?

any other tips or advice?

Power off the system. Take the screws out of the two black 'levers' on both sides of the BFT. Pull down on the levers and back out the tray. If you have blue capacitors, you're OK. If they are green and/or leaking, then the tray is bad.

I'd suspect a hard drive crash if it was powered down ungracefully. You can remove the bezel from the front of the BFT and connect a monitor to the VGA port, then power up the system and see what the BIOS and POST messages say.

well, the capacitors are blue and not leaking. I plugged in a CGA monitor and as soon as I plug it in it says "entering power save mode" like there is no signal from the vga port. i plugged a mouse in to try to wake it up. nothing. tried 2 resets.

still cant ping, log in, no voicemail, auto attendant, all lights flashing on front of bcm etc.

It sounds like a bad hard drive to me. Especially since the BFT caps are blue.

Sounds like a bad hard disk to me as well.

The system can start up and work without the hard disk. Physical lines, target lines and extensions all work (and I don't know what else).
However, voicemail won't work and IP telephony won't work.

I suggest booting up the system without the hard disk connected, and see whether anything different happens. If not, then this looks more likely like the hard disk corrupt.

thanks, Nortel seems to think the same. Ive never changed a hard drive on a bcm before. what is involved? can I just throw a regular hard drive in or does it need to be a nortel hard drive?

how do I get the basic info on the hard drive so I can log in with element manager and do a restore?

thanks

U need a HD w/ the BCM image on it. Not sure what s/w level ur using. If ur using 3.x u'll have to initialize it via the serial port. If ur using 4.0 then no initialization is required. Do u have a system backup?

If you use to login with **266344 that means it's a 4.0 version.If you never did use the BIT tool before, just order a 4.0 replacement drive, put it in and let it go until all light comes solid then login and install latest Desktop ans SU_System patch.
Once done, restore the latest backup you have, i don't think you will be able to recover any backup on the older drive since it doesnt boot anymore.
Good luck.

thanks. Any other tips with installing a new hard drive?

Keycodes will remain as they are tied to the MSC not the HD. 've replaced HDs before and they stayed.

Hi Dasheen ...
This as always been a part of the HDD replacement process. The keycodes are genereated against the Sys ID, which is hard coded to the MSC, but there is also a file on the HDD that maintains the keycode information.
This may have changed at 4.0, not totally sure since we can't access the OS anymore, but it is still a part of our HDD replacement standard.

-SD-

It is good you have a 4.0 backup, but the telephony portion will only restore to an exact matching MSC core version. If you are correct that it is just a HDD failure and you haven't lost core telephony programming you might be lucky and be able to just restore everything, but telephony. Dasheen is correct about keycodes, you should not have to worry about that. Anyhow, that is a trivial step to download your keycodes stored on the Nortel web site assuming your BCM is not black market..

ok, well, I installed the new hard drive and the system booted up the same way. somehow, all the telephony is working exactly the same as before. all dns are intact, the pri is still working, but the leds are flashing and I cant log in. I rebooted without a hard drive and it booted up the same exact way.

is it a bad BFT?

Plug your monitor back in after you power down the system..power backup and watch the monitor/

If you get an error then you have a faulty hard drive.or a cable loose inside.
Post any errors here.

Yes, sounds like bad BFT. All the telephony programming is on the MSC (the PCI board plugged into the mother board/BFT)
so that is why it is still there. Another possibility is the IDE cable could be damaged. I would try replacing it for kicks. You didn't mention having a RAID cage, but those fail just as often as the BFT (about 95% of all installed systems in my experience) Unfortunately, Nortel stopped the free BFT replacement so you will have to buy a new one or purchase a Nortel contract and then get it replaced against the contract.

Better hurry, because the Nortel enterprise division is being auctioned off in bankruptcy court as we speak and there are no guarantees what the buyer will do with it..

a guy I know emailed me a document that says I must log in with a null modem cable to initialize the3 hard drive. Is this correct? does the IP reset itself to 10.10.10.1?

If you can't ping it, the serial cable won't work either. There is nothing to initialize on a HDD. You used to have to upload the MSC from HDD on 3.7 and below systems, but 4.0 does it automatically. If you plug a monitor in and turn the system on and don't see any indication of the HDD booting then your BFT is bad (or maybe just IDE cable or HDD)

If you ever initialize (run universal profile or upload MSC) you will lose your telephony programming. One issue this presents is that even if you have a backup you can only restore the exact same core version. So say you get a new BFT and new 4.0 HDD. If your 4.0 backup is not the same core version as your new HDD you will not be able to restore your telephony backup. You also cannot downgrade a core version, so don't even try that. Aren't BCMs fun to work on? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back