Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant ping any hosts on local subnet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

argyle811

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2007
GB
Hi, hope someone can help this is v strange.
I have a Windows NT Server, and have just installed a 3Com NIC 3C905C. I can ping it, and it replies, and I can access it through VNC. From the Server I can browse other hosts files etc. fine, it just wont get any replies from a ping. There is no firewall hardware or software between the Server and the hosts its trying to ping. Thanks for any help

What OS on the hosts? Windows Firewall by default blocks pings...

Burt

Check to make sure DNS is working correctly.

I think he's just wondering why he cannot ping...I'm sure traceroute will work (if indeed there is nothing blocking it), and DNS likely is working, unless he RDC's to the pc's via IP address...but he has to get back at us.lol

Burt

Have you tried to ping the localhost?

ping 127.0.0.1

If that wont work then your nic is broken or not installed.

greetzz....Bas

My answer wont help, i think i had to much champange last night.
Anyway Happy NewYear

Especially when he said...

"... From the Server I can browse other hosts files etc. fine, it just wont get any replies from a ping...."

Also, I did not know that there was such a thing as too much champagne...now Mad Dog 20/20 may be another story...

Burt

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I can ping the localhost on 127.0.0.1 and on its own IP address. Other hosts that I cant ping arent on XP, and can be pinged from other machines, and there are no hardware or software firewalls in between. Any other ideas?

So the server cannot ping, but it can do everything else, and all hosts can ping eachother...can hosts ping the server? Can the server traceroute to the hosts, and if so, can you post the output?

Burt

Thats correct. Hosts can ping the server and get a response from it. Server cant ping out, cant traceroute out to hosts on local subnet either, just gets request timed out.

I'd suggest re-binding tcp/ip to the new nic. NT can be screwy about bindings.

I agree, if all else fails, and it sounds like it has...the only other things I suggest is to try telnet from the server to the hosts (you have to set it up for the hosts to respond)---this will test all 7 layers of the OSI model.
The other thing is to rebuild the tcp/ip stack on the server.

Burt

have you checked to make sure you have the correct gateway address? Also have you tried turning the firewalls off on the computer you are pinging from and off on the client you are trying to ping. I have run across the windows firewall not allowing echo replies.

I replaced the NIC with a netgear that I knew worked with NT. Same issues. So I removed the other NICS from Windows NT Adapters in the network folder. This seemed to sort it out. I suspect as pointed out above rebinding TCP/IP would have achieved the same result. Thanks for the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back