Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping a device on a different vlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinkann

ISP
Jan 8, 2008
US
I can't believe i can't get this working. Unfortunately for now, all of our traffic is on vlan 1. we are in the process of segmenting with vlans. For some reason i have some devices on vlan 10, but i can't ping them from vlan 1. I have interface vlan 10, ip address set, ip routing enabled.

CCNA, Network+

Did you "no shut" the interface? What model switch are you on? Post a show ver and a show ip int brief

What device is doing the routing between the vlans and what model switch is this?

cisco 4506 like i said, i have IP Routing enabled, and i have an IP address assigned to both of the vlan interfaces. Of course i can ping both from the router, but like i said, i can't ping vlan 10 from vlan 1.

CCNA, Network+

You may need to change the GW on VLAN1 to the 4506 if you haven't already done so. That may get you the ability to ping VLAN10 from VLAN1. Just a thought.....

What I meant is you may need to change the GW for devices on VLAN1 to the Switch itself and not the Router. That's what I did in my situation and I could get inter-vlan routing going between the VLANs. Of course, I couldn't and still can't get devices on VLAN10 to the internet.

Can you post a "show vlan" and a "show ip route" command from the switch ?

The default gateway should always be the router responsible for getting your traffic to other subnets. Verify that your subnet masks and default gateways are set properly on all your devices. My guess is that they're not configured correctly.

See I'm using a L3 3560 switch, so that's probably why I was able to get it to work by changing the GW's to the 3560 for devices on VLAN1, but if you are wanting to use a L3 Router to route between VLANs vs. a L3 interface on a L3 switch then, yes, you need to point the GW's to the L3 Router (as jneiberger said above).

The default gateway must *always* be a device that can route, whether that's an actual "router" or a layer-three switch. The point is that it must have a routing capability. After all, that's what gateway means in this context.

i figured it out. Our 4500 is connected to an ASA. Before i started, the company only have one flat network. no inter vlan routing. so the gateway of every host was .1, which was the ASA. As we were adding vlans, they individually worked but couldn't route between each other because of that ASA. It wasn't a router on a stick. All i did was make the 4500 the gateway, .1 and changed in inside IP of the ASA from .1 to something else.

CCNA, Network+

btw, 4500 was in L3, doing the inter vlan routing. Thats how i was trying to set it up. took me a few but i figured it out. thanks everyone.

CCNA, Network+

Good job. I love how people don't give you the complete picture ("hey---there's an ASA...")---I had a customer today that couldn't see any hard drives connected fiber to an MSA1000 controller and 2 shelves---the MSA was getting taxed (cpu), and could see the disks. Two hours later, the idiot told me the *&^$ing server was shut down!

Burt

well, i actually just started a couple weeks ago and i'm just trying to get the network in shape. In the process installing a new cisco call manager set up. no one explained the asa config to me. took a couple hours to get it going.

CCNA, Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back