Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't paste PNG image on a layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierino2019

Technical User
Jan 30, 2005
AU
Hi again, everybody.

I'm trying to create a button with an image on it for a forum I'm setting up.

I saved an image on a transparent bg as a PNG file. But later, when I reopened the image, I found to my dismay (and utter frustration!) that I couldn't paste it on the button I had created on a new transparent layer. I could paste it before I'd saved it, but not after I'd saved it.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation (and solution) for this problem, but try finding it in the Photoshop CS help file or in an online tutorial.

Thank goodness for forums like this, that's all I can say!

I just tried it, at it seems to work ok. Just to clarify:

1: When you reopen the PNG file, does it still have its transparent background?
2: Is the PNG file saved in Photoshop, or another app?
3: What file format is the button?
4: What color mode is the button?
5: Is there any particular reason why you're using PNGs rather than Photoshop native files (PSD)?

1. Yes

2. Photoshop

3. Haven't saved the button yet. Still trying various designs.

4. RGB

5. Had trouble saving the transparent bg as a GIF. PNG works fine. The button will be posted on an image host which does not support PNG files.

does not support PNG..."

I meant does not support PSD.

What I meant was, why aren't you putting your artwork together in PSD files? That would allow you to create a master file as complicated as you like. Naturally you would have to save a copy in another format for the web, but this would be the normal way of working.

Could you provide a link to the troublesome file(s)? Going by your answers, I can't see where the problem could be, but I'd be happy to look at the file for you.

That's very strange, I've had no problems at all pasting it into another document. I noticed that the PNG file is Indexed Color, but that shouldn't really make any difference in this case.

How are you actually doing this, just Select > All and Copy in the first image, selecting the second image and Pasting? What happens when you select all and copy from the first image, File > New... and paste into that?

Another option would be to try and drag from one image to the other. With both images open, select the PNG file, open the Layers palette and drag its icon onto the second image. I have to admit I'm a bit lost about this one!

I've been trying the second option all along, simply because I haven't saved a button yet: I'm still trying various rough designs, none of which has been worth saving.

What I do is open the image first, create a new transparent layer, make a button, and then try to drag the image onto the layer with the button. But all I get for my trouble is one of those black circles with a slash through it, telling me that PS no can do.

Obviously, I'm doing -- or have done -- something wrong. But what, that is the question?

I've been trying the second option all along, simply because I haven't saved a button yet: I'm still trying various rough designs, none of which has been worth saving.

What I do is open the image first, create a new transparent layer, make a button, and then try to drag the image onto the layer with the button. But all I get for my trouble is one of those black circles with a slash through it, telling me that PS no can do.

Obviously, I'm doing -- or have done -- something wrong. But what, that is the question?

Try converting the PNG file to RGB first before copying it over. The fact that it's Indexed color could be locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back