Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open shared access database with double click from explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrill1

Technical User
Apr 28, 2009
US
I've come across a situation where if I try to double click an MDB file on a shared network drive, nothing happens. Access doesn't start (either with
access 2000 or access 2003). the properties of the database are set for Shared.

However, I can always open it from the open menu in access. Any suggestions on how I can get the double click to work on this shared database without having all the users create a shortcut?

The file association is missing in Windows.

This should be the same or similiar in all versions of Windows but this is for XP:

Right click the start menu and hit explore to open windows explorer.

On the Tools Menu Select Folder Options.

Select the file Types tab.

Push the new button.

Enter MDB as the extension.

Push Advanced if necessary to show application list.

Select Microsoft Access.

Hit Ok buttons until the screens you opened go away.

Thanks, but my XP is fully aware of MDB files. The problem only occurs when trying to open a database that is also used by another user. Once everyone has left, my file opens as normal.

The problem must somehow be connected to the sharing of the database. Who can help please?

If you want to share an MDB, every user must have the ability to create and delete files in the folder. Have you noticed if there is an LDB file in the same folder as your MDB? Can every user create and delete simple text/notepad files in the folder?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

For more on what Duane is saying, check out
thread181-1546198

Yes, all users have full R/W access to the folder where the database resides.

The problem isn't that Access is unable to open for another user (through "File>Open" in Access each user still gets the database running). The problem is that the double-clicking of the mdb file no longer works if you're the second or later user in line.

So you have tested that it will open with a double click if the user having trouble is the first one in the file? The file registration of the original solution here is machine based not file related.

wvdv,
Do you mind responding to my questions
dhookom said:
Have you noticed if there is an LDB file in the same folder as your MDB? Can every user create and delete simple text/notepad files in the folder?
We asked these questions based on our experience of helping thousands of users over years of providing support. We hope to get replies to the questions we ask. The answers may be obvious to you but these forums are reviewed by thousands of people who may benefit from our collective discussions.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Correct. The first user (on any machine) can double-click to open the database. All subsequent users can double-click what they want, but without response. They have to open MSAccess from Start>Programs and then File>Open which successfully opens the database for them.

Somehow, each subsequent double-click seems to be blocked by the ldb lock file (?).

As the original poster noted his settings have you gone into the tools menu, selected options and on the Advanced tabe ensure that the Default open mode for all users is set to shared?

What happens when you double click the file? Nothing? Do you get an error, if so what is it?

If there is no error, going back to the LDB file... do any users not create one if they are the first in Acces? Really you should only need to test 2 usere such that they have the issue together.

Has it everworked before? If it quit working, tell your IT staff and see if they have rolled any programs or patches out.

I am also asumming Access is fully patched.

I found a work around for this problem. We had to add our server as a trusted site and now it works with multiple users again. Our error occured when we moved the files. See if that works for you too.

Add this to the trusted sites in internet explorer: file://servername/location

lbrill1,

Your trusted site solution does not make sense to me... Any idea what is different about your setup that requires that or why it works? Are you opening the file via IE?

In my recent multi-User environment experience we used shortucs with the command line parameter to load a particular workgroup which explains why I missed that...

Shared locks keep getting weirder in Windows... Remember when everything worked on NT4 and Access 97?

The trusted site suggestion didn't solve the problem for me, but thanks for the link to the Microsoft article, which contained a working way-around-it by including the Access path in the shortcut. They admit it's a problem.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back