Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open port

Status
Not open for further replies.

flux81

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
AU
Sometimes when I use dial up, the modem gets to the "opening port" part and gets stuck. The only way I can solve the problem is restart the computer and that normally solves the problem. What's wrong?

Thanx heaps in advance.

Assuming the modem works successfully after you've restarted the computer, I'd say the modem is conflicting with either an IRQ or an existing COMM PORT. Check the settings for the modem against assigned IRQs, I/O addresses, etc.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

G0aoz is correct but if u have a conflict and u can't find it a good way to check is to turn comm1 or comm2 of in your bios settings (providing of course youv'e got nothing attached to comm1 or comm2)

I have had the same message when AOL was loaded on machines at start-up. Also with some other programs that used the modem and did not release it. Re-booting forces the application to release the port.
Suggest you use Task Manager to examine the services that are running when the problem exists and when it does not. If you can identify a service that is running when the problem exists, try killin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back