Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't open Internet services manager or access localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

jms137

Programmer
Oct 6, 2002
GB
hi all

new to site... I have a problem with IIS. i have found a lot of similar posts on web but no answers..

my IIS just stops working and i get 'cannot find server' when accessing sites. then i can't open internet services manager GUI from control panel. when i shust down windows i get a prompt to save a *.msc file. i also cannot uninstall IIS as the uninstall freezes.

there was a similar post at:

but no solution.

i would sincerely appreciate help, beyond "reinstall windows"! I have resinstalled w2k multiple times and it keeps happening! (3 times now). i get to use IIS ok for about 2 days before it goes awry.

regards,
john

I have the exact same problem. Had any luck during that time ?

Hi,

I did lots of browsing through forums, but could find no definitive answer that works...So I uninstalled w2k and installed XP. The IIS in XP now works flawlessly.

Since then I have also installed w2k server on another partition, and the IIS in that works fine, too.

So basically I would install xp.
john

travi_grn_bkgnd_sm.gif

I've had some of the symptoms that you have had.

--------------------
SYMPTOMS
--------------------

- My IIS never worked and I got 'cannot find server' when accessing (Replaced localhost with my computer name).

- I couldn't open Internet Services Manager dialog box from Control Panel > Administrative Tools.

- When I shut down windows I got a prompt to save a *.msc file.

- I could however, uninstall IIS without it freezing. When uninstalling IIS, I thought it was frozen initially. It just took a long time to complete.

--------------------
MY SEARCH
--------------------

Shortly after reading your post I ran across a post on another site that solved my problem. That address is:

(I used 'Option 2' from the reply to the post)

--------------------
SOLUTION
--------------------

Here is what I did to solve my problem:

01. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Hardware.

02. Click Add/Troubleshoot a device and then click Next.

03. Click Add a new device, and then click Next.

04. Click No, I want to select the hardware from a list, and then click Next.

05. Click Network Adapters, and then click Next.

06. In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft.

07. In the Network Adapter box, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and then click Next.

08. Click Finish

--------------------
ANAYLISIS & VERIFICATION
--------------------

I didn't even need to restart my computer. Here is what I did to see if everything worked out:

01. Clicked Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Personal Web Manager.

* It opened fine and I clicked the Start button to start it up.
- Before I fixed my problem, Personal Web Manager wouldn't start.

02. Opened my Web browser (IE6) and typed (Replaced localhost with my computer name) in the address field.

* The default IIS website appeared.
- Before the fix, I would get a 'cannot find server' page.

03. Clicked Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Then I selected Services and Applications in the left tree frame.

* Information appeared in the right frame.
- Before the fix, clicking Services and Applications would freeze the Computer Management dialog box with a hourglass cursor.

04. Clicked Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Selected IIS Admin Service in the right frame and used the stop icon in the toolbar to stop and restart the service.

* Started and stopped quickly with no problems.
- Before the fix, attempting to stop the IIS Admin Service took a long time and gave notice saying that it couldn't be stopped.

--------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------

I believe this problem is the reason I can't install Visual Studio .NET successfully. I will attempt the install of VS .NET now. If it works I will post another reply for others who may be in the same boat. If I don't post again, assume that this didn't solve my VS .NET installation problem.

--------------------
CLOSING
--------------------

Let me know if this helped you out. I know it has been a long time since you posted. You probably found a solution few months ago.

Peace,

<<ubiquity>>
Tempe, AZ, USA

thanks for the info, but i installed xp and never looked back.

Guys, windows 2000 has a facility named &quot;DHCP media detect&quot;.
What is doing this?
It is checking the link status on your network interface. If the link is down, (ie: no acive network connection, some of the network card have a LED on them that are indicating the link status also) then Windows is disabling that network interface. The result? If that was the only network device, then it will not load TCP/IP stack. And, any application that is using TCP/IP will not work.
The resolution?
- if you don't have any network card inside, then indeed install TCP/IP loopback adapter
- if you have network card, but the system is disconnected, then you can turn off this facility of windows.
have a look here: Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back