Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open Control panel, IE, or any explorer apps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaTech

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2004
US
I can't open my computer, networks place, IE ,etc. nothing that is embedded in Explorer will open. Unless I go into safe mode. I remove all unknown apps from the registry and from MSconfig. then I did a repair on Windows XP. I'm stumped. Any ideas

Have you scanned for spyware? Sounds like one of those little annoyances. Otherwise if that doesn't do it. Try to Install XP over the top of XP (upgrade option) to keep your files, or is that what you meant by "repairing" Windows?

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hi-jack log file - Best Practices
faq608-4650

What if any error message are you getting? Is there any further information in the Event Viewer?

I had the same problem on a users machine recently. I deleted the file hhuu.dll in the windows directory and that fixed the problem. The file is created by a adware.

Well the user want the computer working sooner so I just did a clean install. But I did run a adware and spyware scan and it didn't come up with anything. Next time I'll try the the hhuu.dll and see if that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back