Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open an access database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headiswrecked

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
IE
I've been working on an access database in Access 2000. When I try to open this on another p.c. sent via e-mail or through a memory key, the access database won't open.

The messaged displayed is that I don't have the neccessary permissions to open the database and the administrator needs to set up permissions.

there are currently no permissions attached to this database and I don't understand why I should be getting this message and not be able to open the database.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should try view the properties of the file and check for a property like "unblock" or other.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

It sounds more like it is a secure database. Do you have to log in when you open Access on the computer you developed the database on?

I've checked the properties of the access file and it doesn't have any of the read-only or hidden checkboxes checked.
I've checked the file on a laptop running Access 2000 and I'm presented with a log-on message even though the laptop that the file was originally created on doesn't need a log-on and there was no log-on created.

Hi,

The reason for this behaviour is that your *.mdb file (the database) is using a *.mdw file that is different than the one that access.exe is using.
There are two ways for this to happen (one is the most likely).

1- Access.exe is e member of a different than stanbdard mdw file. To overcome this you should make access .exe use the proper *.mdw file. Search for the wrkgadm.exe on your harddrive and write down wich mdw file is being used.

2 your access .exe app is using the standard system.mdw but your *.mdb is secured and needs a custom mdw file. In that case you should see which one it needs. Use again wrkgadm.exe ont the machine where the mdb file is openend without troubles. Write the name down.

Please let me know which mdw files are being used - than I can advise you what to do next.

Maarten

All,
Thanks for your help. The problem was around the *.mdw file. I've since rectified the problem by replacing this file with the required *.mdw. file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back