Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Open Access 2000 Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianemarie

Instructor
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hello, I have a database being used by only one person, and when she attempts to open it she gets this message:
"The Microsoft Jet Database engine has stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the data at the same time." There is no one else in the database. I have tried compacting & repairing - but I get the same message. Tried importing the tables into a new database - same message. We restored the database from a previous version backed up on the network, when we knew it was OK. STILL get the same message. Can't find the error message on the knowledge base. Can anyone help? Thank you!

So...you are telling that you managed to repair and compact without problems, but then, you get the same message when you try to open the database?

How big it is? Do you have many tables? With many fields?

Hi, no, I was never able to repair and compact. When I selected the database, I got the message. By the way, can't open it Read Only either. It's a small database, 4 linked tables, with no more than 300 records. A few queries and reports. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

4 linked tables? Those tables are in a different database?
Anyway, I suspect the problem is in one of these tables.
If I remeber well I had a similar problem, and I discovered an error in one record. Actually in one of the fields (a text field) I found written " #error ". It wasn't possible to modify that record, but I could delete it. After that everything it worked well.

The problem is that I can't get into the database AT ALL. Therefore I can't look at the tables or the records. The tables are not from another database, I'm sorry. I meant simply that there are four tables, and these four tables are linked together in the database (not linked from an outside data source).

This can happen if one user has the db open in design mode and another user tries to get in while it's already open in design mode. Doesn't sound like your situation according to what you have said so far.

If everyone closes the db, look in the folder for .ldb files. These should disappear after everyone has logged out. If one still exists, you can try to delete it. Best to try & open the .ldb file first in notepad...this can tell you which users have the db locked and can at least point you in the right direction.

Also look for an Access.LockFile in your db folders. If one of these is present, it might point to your security settings.

if is not secret...u can zip it and send it to me :
avertex@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back