Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open ACAD w/out new dwg. opening 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaz

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
Ok, here's the problem. I went to the Autodesk website for support and followed the instructions for ID# TS71560 and it works like I want it to BUT...AutoCAD locks up and I have to CONTROL/ALT/DELETE to get out!

I basically was sick of AutoCAD starting a new drawing upon startup and me having to close it everytime I started a new session. By using the script desribed in ID# TS71560, the new drawing no longer loads on startup. However, something is causing AutoCAD to freeze up and I can't figure it out. Please help.

Thanks.

Kurt

hi kurt,

if i understand you correcly you don't want the startup dialog to show every time you start auto cad.

if so do the following:

go to "tools", select "options...", select "system"
under general option is an option to turn off the start up dialog.

hope this is helpful

nils

Kurt,

I thought you had this working? Or was that just the command line issue?

Todd

Todd,

I do but only half-_____ed. It starts AutoCAD without the Startup Dialogue box, but I have to repeatedly hit FILE in the upper left hand corner of the screen until it finally lets me select one of the previous files I've worked on. In other words, if I try to go directly to the OPEN icon it doesn't respond for some reason until I open a previous dwg. Once I have a dwg. successfully opened I can then go back to the OPEN file icon and get access to any file I want without any troubles.

I hope this makes sense. Right now I'm just living with the problem, annoying as it is early in the morning, because it really doesn't waste too much time in the grand scheme of things.

Let me know if you do have any suggestions. As you know, I'm not the most brilliant computer mind so be patient.

Thanks.

-Kurt

Kurt,

You might try changing your script to look like this:

Code:
._close
_y

It sounds as though AutoCAD is waiting for a confirmation to close the drawing without saving and eventually clicking the open button is finally cancelling. By supplying the confirmation prompt with the "_y", this will hopefully supply the needed prompt.

HTH
Todd

HTH
Todd

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. However, because of you I went back to the Autodesk website and found what I should have used all along. Instead of the script I used a lisp that they had on the website. It worked! I think what you suggested would have worked but I was probably missing the space/return at the end. Whatever. It worked.

Thanks dude.

-Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back