Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open a dBase IV file in SQL Server (Error 8961)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieMon

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 Server with SQL Server 2000 and Access 2000 installed. Neither database program (SQL Server nor Access 2000) can open a dBase IV file. I get the following error:

Unexpected error from external database driver (8961)

I understand that both SQL and Access would have the same problem because they would both use Jet 4.0 to open the database.

So, I have installed all Windows, SQL Server and Access service packs and patches. I have the latest Jet 4.0 drivers.

I have two other Windows 2000 servers running SQL Server 2000 and Access 2000 and they can both open the dbf file.

Microsoft Technet has no information on the 8961 error. Can anyone help with this?!?

Do you access that database locally from the same machine where SQL Server is installed? If database is accessed through network, the SQl Serevr service require to be ran using account that is a registered user name in the network domain, otherwise SQL Server will not be able to access netowrk resources.

No other suggestions come to mind. Try to search MS site.
Vlad Grynchyshyn
vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua
The professional level of programmer could be determined by level of stupidity of his/her bugs

I don't believe it is a security issue. I am logged on as the administrator and can open the Access database that has the dbf as a linked table. It is only when I open the linked table that the error occurs.

I have confirmed that the administrator has Full Control of the mdb and dbf files.

Interestingly, the only way I could link this dbf table in Access was to do it from another server that does not have the problem. If I try to link a dbf table in Access 2000 on the server that has the problem, it askes for an index file. dBase IV and 5 databases don't have seperate index files. That indicates to me that it is a Jet 4.0 problem.

I have already searched the MS site to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully others will chime in.

I don't know but found the following on Google searching your error string.

ACCESS-L Digest - 15 May 2001 (#2001-207)
... has companion *.cdx and *.ftp files, yields = a message "unexpected error from external
database driver (8961)." The = index is not carried in the *.dbf file ...
acc01051520_30181.html

robsutonjr, I can't access the faqchest forum that your URL references. The site tells me that the list is no longer served by faqchest.

Could you try to get the full text of that post for me?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back