Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't network

Status
Not open for further replies.

karen36bc

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
PK
I am trying to network two computers together. One computer is running windows xp(Host)and the other is running windows 98(client). To get the network started, I've used the network connection wizard. All seemed to have gone well. However, on the "client" computer, I am unable to view any shared files or even get a game networked between the two.
I am currently in a dial up connection, use a firewall and a hub.

This is my first time networking, so I haven't the foggiest idea how to get this working properly. Is there someone that can give me step by step instructions on how to network two computers?

Much appreciated.

try enabling netBIOS in your TCP/IP advanced properties. I had the same kind of problem when I networked my XP comp to my Win98 comp.

TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced -> WINS -> Enable netBIOS over TCP/IP

let me know if it works (I could be totally wrong)

I just cut and pasted that from a previous comment of
mine.
Remember to make sure both computers are in the same workgroup (go to my compuer, right-click, properties, should be in Computer Name). Give them both the same workgroup name.
Have you created shared folders yet?? You'll need to installed File and Printer Sharing in your network connections (in control panel). Then you'll have to configure this, which should be as simple as checking a couple boxes to allow file sharing.
Create some shared folders, basically, just make a normal folder, right click on it or to to it's properties, and then go to Sharing and Security or something like that, and allow it to be shared. A hand should appear underneath the folder. This folder should appear on the other computer (when you view your workgroup in Networking).
I'm sorta in a rush at the moment, sorry for the quick rundown.

Both machines should be on the same IP?

You can either have them networked under a domain or a workgroup. You probably don't have a domain controller, so you'll need to create a workgroup. This is as easy as giving both computers the same workgroup name.
Both computers should have a unique IP address. Depending on which ISP you're using, you'll either have to configure your own IP's, which is unlikely. What is more likely is you have DHCP enabled, which will dynamically assign your IP's for you. You're IP addresses will appear differently depending on what side of the network you're looking at. From the outside (WAN), you only have one IP address, which is actually your hardware firewall (this too could depend on what firewall you have). But usually with hardware firewalls, it makes your network appear to only be one IP address. From the inside, in your workgroup, each computer will have its own IP address, and the hardware firewall will probably appear to have a different IP address than the one you see from the outside.

Karen,

Since you use dialup, I'm not too worried about telling you this, however, should you upgrade to cable, satellite, or DSL, then you may have to change how this is done slightly.

If you do go to cable, satellite, or DSL, this will still work it's just that you will want to install a hardware router/firewall and let the IP addressing come from the hardware.

In addition to making sure they are both in the same workgroup, you will need to assign an IP address and Subnet mask to each machine. I've done this a few time to personal networks and it usually works out pretty good.

1. Each computer must have a unique computer name (Computer1 and Computer 2 for example)
2. Each computer must have the same workgroup (Workgroup for example)
3. On the XP machine you will open Right click on My Network Places and click on Properties.
4.In the window you should see and icon that says LAN or Local Area Network. Right click on this LAN icon and click on properties.
5. In the white box, find and highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click on the Properties button.
6. Normally this is defaulted to Obtain and IP address automatically. In this case we are going to select specify an IP address.
7. In the IP address area put in 192.168.10.1
8. In the subnet mask area put in 255.255.255.0
9. Every thing else you can leave blank in this example. If this were a network with a firewall/router, you put the IP address of the router (also note that the IP addresses and subnetmask information would also be different from this example).
10. Click OK
11. Click OK again. Typically you do not have to reboot after this, but it is always a good safe measure.

Now, on the Windows 98 machine...
1. Right click on Network Neighborhood and click on Properties
2. On the Configuration tab in the large white box you need to make sure that you have the following:
Client for Microsoft Networks
A network card of some kind
TCP/IP for your network card
If you do not see at least these 3 things, then you have another problem which can be addressed later.
3. Highlight the TCP/IP for your network card and then click on Properties.
4. On the IP Address tab (usually what the window opens up at), Select Specify an IP address.
5. For the IP address enter 192.168.10.2
6. For the Subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0
7. Click OK
8. Click OK again
9. You should then be prompted to reboot the system

After both systems have been rebooted.....

On the Windows 98 machine...
Open Network Neighborhood
You should see Entire Network and both computer names
If you only see Entire Network, then double click on Entire network. If it gives you and error that stats "Unable to browse the network", then you have different problem.

On the Windows XP machine...
Open My Network Places
Click on the Search icon on the toolbar (magnifying glass)
You may have to select that you want to search for a computer on the network, then entr the computer name of the windows 98 computer. If it doesn't find it then we have more troubleshooting to do.

This is a good chunk of info so I will stop here and wait to see your progress.

Mulugeta(Technicaian)
karen,
Networking XP with Win 9x is sometimes difficult.To make it plain
My first point is if you use TCP/IP as a protocol and there is no Domain controller please don't use Obtain Automatically IP/Address use manual IP/Address.Other wise use like Netbuei or other....IPx....

My second point is some Netowork Cards do not go with the connection speed of the Network Like 10mbps or 100mbps etc so in the Network Configuration "Media Access" set it like 100mb full duplex or Half duplex do not select Auto. Mind you this is for some Win9x computers.

Hope i helpd little.

Make sure you don't have firewall software running.

That often bollixes up these little P2P networks.

You can also just go tried and true:

Make one computer 192.168.0.1, and the other .2. Netmask 255.255.255.0

Turn on filesharing. Connect to hub. Enjoy.

ACE

I hesitate to add to all the advice flying around.

Are you intending sharing the dial-up connection (which is on XP machine?) between the 2 machines, using XP's ICS (Internet connection sharing) software? If so, you will need to set the 98 machine to pick up an IP address automatically, as the XP machine will act as a DHCP server (ie, it will provide IP addresses to any other machines on your network). On the XP machine, in the ISP properties, you will have to enable sharing on the sharing tab.
(other advice about same workgroup, enable sharing, share some resources on reach machine is needed for file & printer sharing).

I'd not use the network wizard, you can implement all the settings you need manually quite easily (and I've read too many posts which start, 'I ran the network wizard...then had these problems).

Couple of sites with networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back