Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't merge access field, which is OLE containing bitmap into Word doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowabuckmaster

Technical User
May 21, 2003
US
I have a problem when I am mail merging an Access table to a word document. The problem is that one of the fields I am merging is an OLE object. (it contains a bitmap image) When merging the fields (customer name, address, etc) no problems but when merging the OLE field all that shows up is "Long binary or text value".

My question is: Can I merge an access field, which is an OLE field containing a bitmap, into a Word document?

No one seems to know the answer. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.

Here is another user asking the same question 2 years ago with no response.

HRG (Visitor) Apr 19, 2002
I have a problem when I am mail merging an Access query to a word document. The problem is that one of the fields I am merging is an OLE object (it has a picture of a signature). When merging all the fields (companyname, name address, etc) work with the desired results apart from the signature.

The error that comes up is "Long binary or text value", what does this mean? Is it possible to merge pictures?

I have resized the bitmap signatures to make them smaller in size and view but I still get this error does anybody know what I can do to show the signature?

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thank you very very much.

H

"I'm just glad I had my bow in hand, from the time I saw him till he was down was about 45 seconds!" Nov. 1st 157 7/8 Typ

I am trying to figure out this problem as well. From what I've learned, Microsoft Word uses DDE and Access uses OLE. That is why it won't pull in the graphics.

I've found a couple of websites that talk about this problem. The best so far is:
However, I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. I complete understand how it should work now, but I just can't get the graphic to pop up. However, I do see a "broken" graphic link after merging it, so I know I'm close. Take a look and see what you can gather from it. I really need a solution as well.

You cannot merge a graphic from Access into Word. However, I have found a solution. Put your images into a folder somewhere on your PC then redefine the field in your Access Table from an OLE to a text field. Type the path of your image that you want associated with the record, i.e., C:\\MyPics\PicFolder\\pic.jpg Also, make sure you put quotation marks around the path... i.e., "C:\\MyPics\PicFolder\\pic.jpg"

Then in your Word document, click Insert Field, choose INCLUDEPICTURE. Click OK and then in your Word document press ALT-F9 to see the Field Codes. Put your cursor after the INCLUDEPICTURE and press space. Then insert the Merge Field that contains the field from your database, which has the path to the graphic. Press ALT-F9 to collapse the Field View.

Merge your Record. You will see that it says Error!Filename not found...

Click Edit, Select All then press F9. This will update these fields, and voila, your graphic is now inserted... Hope this helps!

Thanks. Documented the info for future reference.

"I'm just glad I had my bow in hand, from the time I saw him till he was down was about 45 seconds!" Nov. 1st 157 7/8 Typ

I have followed all the steps in both this tread and on the Microsoft site and my pictures are still blank. Everything appears to be workin as stated I get the File picture not set and then when I select all and press F9 the picture is blank on all the records. i have also merged to new doc after doing so and the pics are still blank. I have the pictures on a mapped drive as well as the db. The field in access looks like "F:\\Catalog\Item_Pictures\\091112.jpg" Does this only work for BitMaps?

[COLOR=black yellow]"F:\\Catalog\\Item_Pictures\\091112.jpg"[/color] - assume that's a typo in your post?

It will be useful to others if you post what version of word, what database is the backend and version. Also, include your INCLUDEPICTURE field definition.

The KB article above uses a JPG image, so one would presume it's supported.

Jon Hawkins

I am using acess and word 2k, no that is not a typo, that is the data in the field.
{ INCLUDEPICTURE {MERGEFIELD PictureLocation} \* Mergeformat}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back