Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't map network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickallen

Technical User
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I have just set up Samba but I cannot map a network drive to the shares fron either Windows XP or 2K.

I can do a net view \\server and see the shares but the server does not show in My Network Places.

Have you gone thru each step in Chapter 13, Troubleshooting Techniqes ? (See documentation for pdf file.)
What step number is failing ?
This pdf is the very best 28 pages of step by step samba debugging instructions that I've found. Keeps getting me out of trouble.

ß

I have started to work through the Troubleshooting techniques and fail when I get to the following section:

$smbclient //pogo/public -U user1%secret
added interface ip=192.168.1.75 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

I get an error of:
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I'm not sure what this means but I have checked the passwords are correct etc but with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help

Check your hostname and sharename, as well as username and password.
Also what version Samba ?

I have checked the hostname and share name and they are ok.
I'm using version 2.2.5

You need to have the workstations as accounts in smbpasswd.

This is done something like the following:
# useradd -a /bin/false -d /dev/null "machine_name"\$
# passwd -l "machine_name"\$
# smbpasswd -a -m "machine_name"

Also make sure you have access to the shares in your smb.conf file.
Note - do not use the same password for the root account in Linux for samba, use a different password.
Make sure you have use encrypt password in smb.conf also.

Thanks jonl711 but still no luck, I'm still getting the same error message.

Look closely at that error message - it is saying NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME. BAD NETWORK NAME!

How long is your hostname/domain name in /etc/samba/smb.conf - I think the limit is 15 chars. I strongly suggest no spaces underlines, or dashes in the name. They may work but I always avoid.

eg MYSERVER - ok
MY SERVER - not ok
MY-SERVER - not ok
MY_SERVER - not ok

Actually, if dashes aren't OK, then the Windows installation program is very weird since it automatically chooses a computer name of the type &quot;<company name>-A761H87&quot;. //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back