Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't map Network Dirve in XP Pro but can with 98/NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

thormax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
I can't seem to map a network drive on one NT 4.0 server with XP Pro. I can ping that server by IP and Name. I can map another server at the same site. When I map with an NT or 98 machine maps fine, not with XP Pro. When I try to map it asks for Username and Password when it doesn't with other server. If I put in username and password and press enter it dissapears for a few seconds and the logon window reappears again with the username and password still there. but no log on. Any help appreaciated on this one.

Obvious question - are you supplying a user name and password that have correct access rights to the share that you are trying to map?

You say 98 & NT machines can map the same share. Are you talking about logged on as same user as when you try from XP?

Yes, It is the same user name and password for both. I am logging on as the same user aslo.

Can you access the share without mapping it (eg, typing \\server\sharename in a run box)?

What happens if you try to map using net use command?

I must admit this doesn't make any sense to me. If your user id has permissions to the share, it should be able to map a drive to it from any (type of) windows workstation in the domain.

No, can't access the share without mapping it, tried that many times.

As far as net use, it comes up with logon failure bad username and or password.

Of course I know they are correct and what doesn't make sense is that I can logon with the same credentials on a 98 or NT machine. What further has me mystified is that I can map to other NT machines in the same office no problem with the same credentials.

So it sounds like your user credentials are being corrupted when you log on to the XP machine. 2seabass's idea of changing your domain user password (it is a domain user - not just lots of similar local user ids?) is worth trying.

Also, can you remove (or just move it elsewhere) your profile on the XP machine (by logging on as local adminstrator for example), then log on again so you get a new profile? Then try again.

PS. Have you other valid domain user ids at your disposal? If so, what happens on XP if:-

1. You supply then to prompt (when logged in as you)
2. You log in as them and try to access the share?

As much as I hate to admit it that was the issue. I was not being notified of a password change. So I changed the password on the NT and XP sides and it worked fine. Sometimes you over look the simpilist things. Again, thanks 2seabass. I am still unsure why I was able to map to the other server. Is it because I was originally mapped to that drive before the password expiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back