Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't manage DirectCable Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ersbygubben

Programmer
May 8, 2001
FI
Hi,
I am having troubles with DCC. Connection OK, but I can't see files on the other computer and even less copy or move them. I have tried every hint and help Windows provides, but there must be something I don't understand here so please can anybody tell me step by step what to do. Hints talk about server and computernames and access to files and sharing. I think I have set these things correct in both computers (they sit 1 meter apart) but still no go.
:-(

Hi Ersbygubben: Which Windows are the 2 computers in? If one of them is Win2000, it may be hopeless, and you have to use 2 network cards, a crossover cable, and the "Synchronize" program which is excellent. If both are Win9x, have you tried NAMING the computers in DCC? Mine looks for 2 min. for folders to share, then asks for the name, then everything is fine. If the host has a password, you may have to enter it.

Thanks eamc.
I run 98 on both and have named the computers, but stillno go, but if you say it may take some time before anything happens, maybe I have been too hasty. Will be more patient.

Have you setup netbui? and shares on the folders that you want to see?

ETID
I think I have set up everything but then again, what's natbui? When I connect the two PC:s, they tell me after a little while they are connected and then after that the guestPC asks me for the name of the hostPC and I write it as I wrote it in the DDC setupwindow, but the guest says it cant find the host and there I sit nd nothing more happens. :-(

Here is a copy of a memo my daughter prepared...hope it helps. I too was frustrated for many moons, now it works great. Use a parallel cable, tho...faster.

1.Decide which will be the “host” and which the “guest”. The guest will acquire data from the host.
2.DO THIS ON BOTH COMPUTERS.
3.Set up both computers to make sure “direct cable conection” is installed.
4.Click Program Files/Accessories/Communications/Direct Cable Connection. If not there, go into Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs/Windows Setup/Communications and check Dialup Networking and Direct Cable Connection (they will probably be installed). Do this on both computers.
5.Next be sure the protocols are selected. In Control Panel, select Network.
6.On the Configuration tab, select Add
7.Click Client, then click Add
8.In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft. In the Networks client box, client “Client for Microsoft Networks”, then click OK.
9.Don’t restart computer.
10.While in Configuration tab, click Add, click Service, click Add.
11. In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft. In the Networks Services box, click “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.” Click OK. Click OK.
12.Do not restart computer yet.
13.Still in Configuration tab, click Add, click Protocol, click Add.
14.In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft. In the Networks Services box, click a protocol. Be sure “IPX/XPS” and “TCP/IP” are in the window. Restart the computer when prompted.
15.Go back into Network, select tab Identification. Write down computer name. You will need this to access whichever is the host computer.
16.In Configuration tab, click File Sharing button and check both boxes.
17.When you have decided on the host computer (let’s say the desktop”, go into Windows Explorer and select the folder that you want to access with the laptop. Right click on the folder, select Sharing and complete the dialog box as to the name of the folder and the degree of access.
18.Click Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Direct Cable Connection (if you will use this feature aften, create a shortcut on the desktop). In the dialog box, make sure that the Host is using a parallel connector on LPT1.
19.Do the same on the guest, making sure the same type of connector is used.
20.On the guest computer (notebook) you will asked for the name of the host computer. Enter the name (which is found in the Identication tab of the Network dialog box).
21.Be sure the parallel cable is connected to both computers, and access “Direct Cable Connection” on both.
22.The guest computer should show a screen bearing the name of the host computer, containing all folders you have tagged to be shared.
23.Open Windows Explorer on the guest computer (the notebook) and set the window to small. Drag and drop the folder from the screen bearing the host’s name to the window with Windows Explorer at the spot you desire. The folder will be copied from the desktop to the notebook. If you wish, you can open the folder and copy selected files from it. Folders that have been tagged for sharing have a little symbol on the folder icon.

Also, If you are not using a HUB, you will need an ethernet X-over cable (like a null modem cable for ethernet)...a regular pass through cable will not work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back