Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't manage a 3C17100

Status
Not open for further replies.

simba327

MIS
Dec 4, 2002
US
The IT guy before me set up this switch and I can't figure out what the IP address is. I tried connecting via the console port, but I get nothing. I am using HyperTerminal with settings of 9600,8,N,1. The max speed for the port is 19200. I have tried different speeds, but get the same results, which is it connects, but I get nothing on the screen. Any ideas? This switch is a standalone, not part of a stack.

My job requires that I work with a multitude of switches every day. Usually, a Null Modem cable or Straight Thru will work on most console ports. I use ProComm as my terminal emulator software because I find it easier than HyperTerm to quickly change settings on the fly.

I suspect your are not using a Null Modem cable, because after pressing Enter key a few times, you should get a login prompt. By default, there are two from the factory.

Login: admin
Password: <blank password> press enter

Login: monitor
Password: monitor <can view settings, but not change.

Per the docs on 3Com site, each switch must have its own IP address.

Thanks. I figured out my problem, I had HyperTerminal set to Hardware flow control (one of the 3Com knowledge base articles said set the speed to 19,200, everything else to default). I found another knowledge base article that said no flow control. Once I did that, it worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back