Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't make changes to my own dbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

smichener

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
I am no longer able to make design changes to my database. I get the "you do not have permissions..." message when trying to open any object in design view. I am the administrator, I created the db on the same pc I am using right now, and I have made no changes to the mdw file. Does anyone know why this could be happening?

Steve Michener

First of all, close all programs (even reboot) and relaunch msaccess (it can happen that you inadvertantly open another instance and thus will not have exclusive access).

Second test, change your workgroup to the system default, can you access it now?

Keep trying.......................
cheers
Riny

No luck. I tried creating a new mdw file via wrkgadm.exe but I was still denied the ability to redesign any of my dbase objects. I tried deleting system.mdw, dbase.bak, and secured.mdw, then restarting Access and still I am denied. I can still make changes in other databases on my system just not the one I need. This is really frustrating because nothing that I am aware of has ever changed regarding security on my system. If I changed my windows password, could that have an effect? Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Steve M.

Are you able to get in to view the Users and Groups in security to see who the owner of objects and permissions are listed as? Is it possible that someone went in and changed permissions on the database?

I am able to view the Users and Groups. I "smichener" am listed as a member of the "admin" group while the user "admin" is listed as a member of the "user" group that does not have design permissions. Is there a way I can see which user is currently using the dbase. Could it be that I am logged on as "admin" and not "smichener" and if so how do I log in as myself? I've been using Access for quite a while but I am not a programmer, and I am continualy amazed at how easy it is for situations like this to occur in Access that leave you frustrated for hours or days on end. I would love to just scap all of the security information and go from there, but deleting secured.mdw and system.mdw did not help at all.

Yeah that's definitley the problem. I am loggen into the database as user "admim" which does not have permission to make changes. I don't know why "admim" does not have these permissions and I don't know why I am no longer logging in a "smichener". Do I have any control over which user I log in as. I never had to activley do anything at all before and that is why this is so strange.

How are you opening Access? Do you use a shortcut with the /wrkgrp switch? Right now, you are logging in as the default user 'Admin'. When you created your database, you must have removed all the permissions for Admin. Can you restore the old workgroup file (I'm thinking that this is the secured.mdw that you deleted?), and rejoin it so that you can log in as yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back