Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Logon to this workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jilex

MIS
Sep 11, 1999
US
On one NT machine on my LAN, I've been getting this logon message, "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect." I can not log on using my own account (w/admin rts). This machine is getting it TCP/IP address dynamically (thru a DHCP server. I can see this machine on the network tree in the Network Neighborhood. Any ideas/help will be appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks.

Did you install a new server? What you need to do is log on locally and open your network properties. There is a "change" option which allows you to join a new domain or workgroup. Select that and recreate your account on the NT Server. This should correct the logon problem.<br>
<br>
Let me know if it works!<br>
Tool

Tool,<br>
Thanks for responding.<br>
First, I didn't install a new server. Secondly, during logon, I get the logon message I mentioned. I can't even logon locally on the client's machine.<br>
Also, when I tried to double-click the client's name under the server manager I get this message"the network path is not accessible."

Is this NT Workstation? and What version? You should be able to logon with the Admin password or the local admin profile. The user might have created there own Admin profile....maybe. You won't get access through server manager until you logon. When you see the logon screen does it give you an option to select a different domain? <br>
<br>
Let me know<br>
Tool

Have you tried logging on to the computer using the built in Administrator account?

This machine is a NT4 Wkstn. I tried logging on as Administrator and I get the same message. <br>
when I see the logon screen, I have the option to select another domain. This machine is not a member of that domain.<br>

Did you by chance... change the Domain name of the NT Server?<br>
<br>
...Then try to add the new machine in the Server Manager and the attempt to log on?<br>
<br>
IF so, the SID account of the machine will not work.<br>
<br>
OR <br>
<br>
Windows NT generates an account lockout event (Event ID: 539) on the workstation where the failed logon attempts occurred if the audit policy on that workstation enables auditing of failed logon/logoff events. However, no event is logged at the domain controller. Administrators must search the event logs of all client systems to locate the computer where the bad password attempts originated. <br>
<br>
If none of these apply..<br>
<br>
You'll need to logon the the Local account of the NT workstation with the same account & Admin Rights as to the Server.<br>
<br>
Add the Same WKS local Admin group user name to the Server Domain Manager and then logon to the Local Machine.<br>
<br>
Go into the Identification tab and change the machine to<br>
workgroup name.<br>
<br>
Log off then reboot ... log on.<br>
Change the workgroup name to the domain.<br>
<br>
Click OK then you should see a message <br>
Welcome to "Name" domain.<br>
<br>
Good Luck<br>
<br>
BB

Try logging on locally to the machine using the guest account. If this works, the SIDs are not totally screwed. Then try logging on locally as Administrator (checking case sensitive password - one of our guys got that wrong yesterday and wasted a long time). If that works, add machine to domain.<br>
<br>
If not, re-install!<br>
<br>
:)

The builtin Administrative account should work from the console irregardless. The message implies the machine account password has gotten out of synch between the PC and the domain its supposed to be in. If you can login with Administrator, you can resolve that by moving the PC to workgroup and back to the NT domain (assuming you have admin rights in the domain).<br>
<br>
I the Admin pw has been lost or corrupted on the workstation, there is a linux boot disk with a password changer utility that one can use to boot any NT box and change any accounts password. NO physical security, no security. Will not work if syskey has been applied.<br>
<br>
-Wayne

Thanks for all the help.<br>
I called the guy who install the NT4 and attached this client to the LAN. He was able to log on locally. He then setup myself and the principal user as administrators.<br>
Still, when we attached the client to the NW, we still get the logon message and the trust relationship message in the server manager.<br>
We reloaded the NT4 and attach the machine to the NW.We set local administrators (as above).

Going back to the original post. Sometimes this occurs when NT goes into sychronizing the SAM computer account database. If the machine was experiencing a network issue at the time NT PC thinks that the machine was still there or something like that. For the original message you might need to go into server manager on the server and delete the computer account. Wait the 15-20 minutes and then readd the machine name. Synching the domain depending on the size does not refresh right away like you would think it does.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps. If not sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back