Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't logon to epolicy admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
GB
I am installing eplicy on a win2K server for the first time, when I first open the epolicy orchestrator console and try to login it says the server it not responding and to verify my logon information, network etc. I think I have verified everything but still no success. Any suggestions ?

Check if you have IIS running. If so, disable the default web service. It uses port 80 which is also being used by ePO.

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Hi

Try using logon name "admin" and password "admin", it presets the password, but does not bother to tell you.

Simon

Also check that the 'McAfee ePolicy Server Service' is started. If it has crashed for some reason, you will not be able to log in.

Simon

Thanks, I checked the McAfee ePolicy server service and it wasn't however, It won't let me start it, any ideas why not ?

Most likely its an service account failure. Change the account being used to at least a local admin on the server and enter the correct password.

HTH, AVChap

not an account failure, I've already checked this - any other ideas ?

skhope, did you modify the database settings using the Data Sources (ODBC) tool? I tried changing the SQL port 1433 settings and some other security tweaks using that tool in the hopes of making it more secure. Unfortunately, I messed up something and after my tweaks, I was no longer able to log onto the PC.

I was not able to get it working and since it was my test box, I decided to reinstall ePO.

I am very curious if you will find the answer. I had exactly the same problem on a testbox, tried about anything, even reinstalling epo, with the same result. I installed on another box to be able to keep on going, but I really would like to hear more ideas of what it can be (definitively no service, no network and no wrong account/password problems)

paul

Hmm .. here are some other things you can check:

1. Do you have a proxy server defined in IE? If so, make sure you have the "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" checked.
2. As funny as this may sound, upgrade DirectX to 8.1b from here: (don't ask my why, found this from an old email from NAI Technical Support)
3. Check if any other service is using port 81. This is the port used to connect to the ePO server from a console.

HTH, AVChap

I had similar behavior on my test box. I found that my machine didn't have enough memory to start the service. Open Task Manager and watch the memory when you try to start the service. Shot in the dark, but it might be it.

I created the same problem myself =or= a similar problem anyway.

When I fixed the security problem of the default SQL account having a blank password (fix was to assign this account a password), I was unable to open ePolicy or even start the service.

I had a SQL admin change the SQL script to use the new password that I assigned the default SQL account and I was able to open ePolicy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back