Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2001
US
Hi. I have a user trying to login to a NT 4.0 workstation also running Novell client V 4.80. He got the blue screen of death and when he rebooted, on the Advanced tab of the Novell login, under the Windows NT/2000 tab, next to "From", his domain and local usernames are now missing. Next to the domain icon, he has a "A" with two dots over it and next to the local icon, it is completely blank, so of course, we cannot login because apparently it doesn't know who it, or anyone else is. Does anyone know how I can get around this without reloading? Thanks.

I don't know about Novell but when an NT machine normally boots up it gives you a chance to use "Last Known Good" configuration.

If you have that option, try it.

Can you log in 'Workstation only'? If you can, try removing and reinstalling the Novell client.

Thanks for your replies. I tried Last Known Good Configuration with no luck. I cannot login Workstation only either.

Sounds like the Novell client is the problem.

You can often get around this by forcing the PC to use the MS login instead of Novell. To do this you'll need to rename some files. You can do this via a DOS boot disk if it's a FAT partition or if it's NTFS you'll need a utility such as NTFSDOS or ERD Pro, or you could slave the drive in another PC.

Rename nwgina.dll to nwgina.old & msgina.dll to nwgina.dll (the files are in the system32 directory.)
Reboot and you'll get the MS login instead of the Novell client. Login, uninstall the Novell client, reinstall it and all should be fine.

hth
John

Try logging in Workstation only, but you should be able to click on the dropdown by the workstation name and select the proper workstation name. If not, see if you can type it in. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back