Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login to my W2k Workstation - Please help, it's Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackps

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
HK
Dear all
I had a problem this morning, when i try to login to my win2k workstation, it keeps log me off! It keep showing "Saving the setting" then kicks me out to the Login Prompt again! there is no way i can get in to the Desktop interface! Did anyone know what is the problem that could make this happen?
I had also try to login locally using an local administrator account , but still the same!
Can anyone please help me to get into the system?

Thx alot

Jack

Hi ,

Use save mode to check the problem at the event log. or you can use last good configuration mode.

Yours
Malbaz
MCSE 2k , CCNP, CIW

If this does'nt work try repairing your Operating System booting up from the windows 2000 CD. I also had similar problem few months back

I had tried the safe mode and last known good, but it still remain the same! Once i login then the system log me out immedately!

Is the error message is something like low virtual memory, did you install a second HDD then remove it again? If it is, I think the drive letters mixed up and the paging file was written to the second HDD. Put back the second HDD and start solving from there. I've read this similar problem from Win2k pro forum but that was couple of months ago or more.

In fact i had install the sec hdd to the pc, then i had login to the system and format the new hdd and assign another drive letter to it! I'm sure i can still login to the system when i had installed the sec hdd, cause if i can't login to the system after i had installed the hdd, then i won't be able to format the new hdd!
Then on the next morning, the user tried to login to the system, it log off the user automatically!

Jack

Did you removed the second HDD? Put it back and test.

OR

Login to any PC but preferably on the sever, goto computer management and from the action menu click "connect to another computer" target is the problematic computer. goto disk managemnet, what can you find there?

From the server click start/run/ then \\pccomputername\c$ or d$ or e$ then "enter", where's the pagefile.sys?

Dear all
Thanks for all the kind help!
I had follow the instruction of yusuf4u52 which run the Repair from Win2k CD, then it works!
But really don't know what cause problem, maybe it's really the Page File problem!
The whole story shows below:
1.The HDD which used by the user used to installed on Secondary IDE Channel,just before i add another HDD to the pc, i had swap the channel from Secondary to Primary Channel for User's HDD.
2. Add the second HDD on Secondary Channel.
3. Boot up the computer using the User's HDD.
4. Login as administrator and format the Sec added HDD.
5. Once the Second HDD had formatted, then shut down the pc.
6. Next morning user tried to login to the pc, it log off the user immedately.

Not sure the problem had caused by swap the User's HDD from Secondary Channel to Primary Channel!!

But anyway, Thanks you for all the supports!

Good luck to all!

Jack

There's a changed in drive letters occured. Let's say the pagefile.sys originally is on c:\pagefiles.sys but after installing the second HDD, the c: becomes d:. After you reboot c:\pagefile.sys was gone, atually it's on d:\pagefile.sys. Without pagefile.sys you can't logon.

Dear ricpinto
I had install the Second HDD to the PC, but i'm still using the orginal HDD to boot up the PC. So the system will treat my Boot up disk as c:, if this right, there shouldn't be any change on the drive letter.
I had swap the original hdd from Secondary Channel to Primary, then i use the primary channel to boot up the pc, on this way the system will treat the boot up channel as c:.
What i tring to say here is no matter if the original is connect to primary or secondary channel, once it is used to boot up the system, then window will treat that as c:.
Is that right!
Please correct me if i'm wrong!

Jack

Dear ricpinto
I had install the Second HDD to the PC, but i'm still using the orginal HDD to boot up the PC. So the system will treat my Boot up disk as c:, if this right, there shouldn't be any change on the drive letter.
I had swap the original hdd from Secondary Channel to Primary, then i use the primary channel to boot up the pc, on this way the system will treat the boot up channel as c:.
What i tring to say here is no matter if the original is connect to primary or secondary channel, once it is used to boot up the system, then window will treat that as c:.
Is that right!
Please correct me if i'm wrong!

Jack

Jack

Drive letter changed!! It can happen and will be able boot up, look at this thread616-549005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back