Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't login thru VPN over internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billmac3

Programmer
Sep 8, 2001
US
Hi - i'm trying to login to a sql server thru a VPN server using a trusted connection w/windows authorization for a user that exists on both computers..'access denied!' Any ideas? TIA

IF you've successfully created a tunnel, then you should login to SQL Server as if you were on the local network. Failing that, try using IP address instead of server name. If that fails try FQDN instead of IP addr/server name.

cheers

Danster

my VPN is working fine, but here's my setup: XP Pro client software connecting to a w2k3 VPN server thru a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and SQL Server 2000 SP3 on another machine in the VPN network. The problem is when I try to execute a managed app over the VPN, i get 'access denied' but when i execute over the VPN network, everything works fine..SQL server is not trusting my access to it, even tho i'm logged in as myself on all 3 machines using the same password..this network is not on a domain, so i don't think i can use FQDN..i tried using 192.168.2.2\dataserver which works when on the local but not when on the remote network..i access the VPN by using Windows authentication, which works fine..it seems to me that there's some undocumented registry key i need to set for SQL to trust me thru the VPN..Hope i've explained the situation fully.thanks

I have the exact same problem. Using Raptor Mobile against a Raptor Firewall 6.5 running on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a.

I have no problem pinging the name whatsoever, but my trusted login does not work.

The client is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 with MDAC 2.8.

My own computer running Windows XP has got no problem logging in ti SQL using Trusted login.

What can I search for? I really dont wanna add all users with SQL-login.

Thanks in advance.

Can you actually access files on the network though?

Is your computer, running WinXP able to create a VPN & then establish a trusted connection?

Are the login credentials correct? Same domain/workgroup etc...

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Yes, I can access files on the network with no problems.

The computer running Windows XP is able to log on user trusted connection when I'm connected via VPN.

Same domain.

Some windows 2000 users are able to use trusted via vpn, but not all.

So my question is really; wahat can I look for? I installed MDAC 2.8 with no success.

Is there anything mor I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Finally I found my problem.

Our outsourcing company recently installed new network adapetrs (without my knowledge) and of course they never thought about MTU for vpn-connections.

I added a DWORD-value using Regedit with the name MTU and the value : 1400 (decimal). Location :

Windows 2000:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

How to determine < interface name > under Windows 2000

On each one of our Windows 2000 I found three interfaces of which only one is completely filled and contains address IP of your machine.

In that which contains your address IP add MTU with like value decimal 1400

Select the good interface

Select the window of right-hand side (that which contains the parameters of your chart network)

click with Right mouse button

In the new Value type MTU

Double click on MTU and return the value decimal 1400

Reboot

Do the same on your clients and then my problem was solved. Now I am able to access our SQL-server with trusted connection even from home (using vpn). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back