Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant login into my own IIS webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have just installed IIS 5.1 on XP using an account with full administrator rights. The service runs but when i try to enter this url 127.0.0.1/localstart.asp to check that the service is running, it asks for a password and username.

I have tried entering the password of the proper administrator account, the account with the administrator rights and even my hotmail passport, but with no luck.

Help!

Thanks

It seems like u have "allow anonymous" disabled. Open IIS.. right click on ur website.. under directory security tab hit edit.. check the "allow anonymous".

GOod luck.

T

Now i have another problem. IIS doesnt seem to be running even though it is shown as running in the adminstrator services tool. I cant stop it running and i cant restart it either.

Furthermore i cant even get the gui running, when i click the iis shortcut, nothing happens.

What is the problem, i cant figure it out.

Sounds like a corrupted file of some sort. Try reinstalling it since u've just started. Good luck.
:)

T

ah ha!!! this is the same problem I am having, see my recent post "cant open internet services manager or access localhost"..

it is impossible to reinstall it because you cannot stop it running cos the internet services manager wont open and 'net stop..' wont work. doing the windows 'remove component ' thing fails too.

anyone have any clues??

well.. there is another way to do it but it's a little more involving and I've never tried it with a "non-windows" component. I've done this with many non-windows software. The steps are to take it out of the registry and wipe out it's files. U don't really have to take out the files but I'd do it anyways. This way windows would think that IIS is not installed and thus allowing u to install it again.

T

Before editing your registry try going to the Services Manager from Control Panel and stopping the IIS Service. That should also stop SMTP, FTP, and any other web services you have running.

If you do not want to allow ananymous access to your web server there are a couple of settings to make it work.
1. Make sure that the computer is a member of a windows 2000 domain.

2. Make sure that Authenticated Users have a minimum of Read and Write permissino to the directory (folder) where the web sites files are located. I am refering to the NTFS permissions in this step.

3. Make sure that the directory where the files are store is shared. I highly recommend using an administrative / hidden share for this. Then grant Everyone at least read and write permission to this directory.

Those 3 steps should allow you to connect by passing you Windows domain authenticatino to IIS.

YAY!! It works now. :D

I had to use Regvac registry editor to remove IIS completly. After this i was able to reinstall IIS, and then i didnt have any problems with user logins.

GD roberts: I tried that way of stopping IIS before also, but i constantly got the same problem of not being able to stop the service. I think it kept crashing when trying to stop the smtp part of the IIS service.

I dont know why it stopped working in the first place, and i hope it doesnt happen again because that means i would have to uninstall IIS again as well as my .NET framework. This would make me angry!!!

Great work Assimilate(don't assimilate me plz :) ). Sorry I wasn't much help.

T [afro][gorgeous][afro2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back