Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't login from NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellylai

Instructor
Jan 18, 2001
ID
Hi,
My network is using 2 kind of windows, 2000 Professional and NT.
The problem is I cannot login to server A from NT but i can do it from 2000 professional. I just install a server (server B) and the NT can log in to it just fine.
The error message i get from the NT Client is "Internal Server Error 0xC000023C." or another one is "Internal Server Error 0xC0000881" or sometimes "the tree or server cannot be found" but i can ping it just fine.
The NT and the 2000 pro are using the same kind of NW Client i.e 4.8.
My partner did some changes to Server A but i have changes it back so it s the same as Server B but it's useless.
Can someone help me??

Thanks in advance,
Welly Lai

Is it a protocol issue? Are you using both IP and IPX on your network or is it just IP. If just IP, is the NT4 workstation configured for IP? Check the settings on the W2k machine against the NT machine "My mamma used to say that life is like a box of chocolates .... you never know what you're gonna get!"

If you are using the latest client for NT, try specifying the Netware servers IP addrss, instead of its name in the advanced login section

Thank you,
But i don't think the problem lies there...server A and server B are both using IP and IPX,the client is configured with IP and IPX too,and I have tried using IP in the Advanced tab...

Do a 'DISPLAY SERVERS' on both servers and ensure the numbers are the same. If you have SLP configured, also do a 'DISPLAY SLP SERVICES' and ensure that the numbers are the same.

Can you also ping both of the servers from each workstation? You must also have entries in DNS for your servers so ping the DNS name also. "It's true, its damn true!"

The network number of both server are the same....and i can ping to both server just fine.....

Check your frame type settings in the Win2K - client. Sounds like your ping is working in IP, but your Win2K station is using IPX as the primary protocol - see if you can make IP the primary protocol for the Novell client, and make sure you haven't selected 802.3 or SNAP as the frame type in the Novell client. Also, make sure the the Microsoft client for Novell is NOT active, just the Novell client for Win2K.
Also, if you're on a largish network with Cisco routers, make sure the IPX 802.2 is enabled on the router you're looking through. Every so often one of our Telecomm folks accidentally turns of IPX 802.2 on a box, and we lose connectivity to a netware 4.x server. Another reason to make IP your primary protocol.
Good luck!

Fred Wagner
frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back