Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login as root from putty after changing password from console 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalchri

Programmer
Apr 19, 2002
US
I just changed the root password from the console b/c we lost the admin. I can login as root from the consoleno problem. However, when I try to login remotely through port 22 (SSH) using putty, I get access denied.

One difference that I notice is that the password prompt asks for root@192.168.0.5, that being the IP address of the server itself, not my workstation. Is there a local root verses a remote root or something? How do I change the password for putty?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am actually on a FreeBSD server but that forum doesn't get much activity.

it just asks you for your password not the login. It already assumes you are logging is as root. It just wants your password. I had this problem before. Hope this helps.

Actually, I do get a login prompt in both situations

putty:
login as: root
Sent username "root"
root@192.168.0.5's password: <pwd>
Access denied
(no success, same password as below)

Console:
login: root
Password: <pwd>
notwindows#
(success)

Have you setup SSHd to allow root to login? There should be a line in your [tt]sshd_config[/tt] file reading something like &quot;[tt]PermitRootLogin yes[/tt]&quot;. //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back