Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneNewbie

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2002
US
We've upgraded our system and swapped from 3 digit to 4 digit extensions to match our DIDs (starting with 16xx). Since the upgrade, I am unable to log into voicemail. I reset the password and I now get a "Not Allowed". If I enter the wrong password, I get "Invalid Password" so I think it's recognizing the password but not letting me in. Any thoughts?

After you changed the extension numbers from 3 to 4 - the voice mail is probably still looking for the 3 digits.
So if your extension once was 222 and its now 2222 then your mailbox is still under 222. IF your voice mail was changed then it should match and if your trying to log in under the Feature 983 then your log number will be 10020000. Good luck
Norstargirl M.Parnell
(norstargirl)

Yeah, the old password didn't work and so I had to reset it. Once reset, you are correct in that it's 10020000 - but when I use that, instead of getting "Invalid password", I now get "Not Allowed" and then disconnected.

Not to be a pain, but you aren't trying to log in on a 7208 are you?

Also, when you are doing a Feature 983 is it coming up Log or Password? If Password then it's looking for 266344 to run through configuration. MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

Sorry to give you the bad news, but one of the reasons to have to re-install the Voicmail is when the DN length is changed.
This means you have to dump the programming and start again from scratch.
Unfortunately you have to do the reinstall through the admin mailbox which you can't get into. It might mean you have to set the KSU back to 3 digits, go in and reset the Vmail database, now change the KSU to 4 digits and then initialze the Vmail.
If you have access to a RAD, try backing up the 4 digit program before you revert to 3 digits. Then when you're back up to 4 digits you can just do a restore.

Good Luck

Now it's true about having to do a reinstall of the datsbase to get it to recognize the change in digits but I just did it last week and I was able to log into F983 with the 10020000. THEN dial 1 reinstall to reset everything. I certainly didn't have to call into it remotely or change my digits back. MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

Did you upgrade to MICS 4.0 or later? If so, is your voicemail Rel. 4.0 or later?

This is why you don't change digit lengths on a system with the voicemail still connected. I've had many a customer bring me their NAM acting like this one after changing their digit length. I ended up having to pull the hard drives and then flush out the corrupt configuration data to get the NAMs to come back.

I would go with the suggestion to change your system back to 3 digits with the voicemail offline, and then reconnect voicemail to your phone system to see if you can get access. If you still have no luck you can contact us to clean out your hard drive.

I am assuming this is a NAM, but if it happens to be a Flash you could just open the unit and short the memory cap to flush it out. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

That just seems excessive to me. Maybe I am wrong ??? but I have changed digit lengths multiple times previously and have never had to dump the hard drive or short the capacitor to get the voice mail to recognize the change. MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

I'm sure it does seem excessive. I had a case one time where the customer installed a previously configured NAM on a new Norstar system where the digit lengths didn't match. He then proceeded to try every digit length possible with the NAM in service in order to gain access. By the time I got it you have never seen such a mess on a hard drive.

I too have been able to change digit lengths without much trouble. It seems to happen more with the earlier release NAMs (R1 & R2). The latest releases seem to be more resistant to this type of corruption.

My point is that I have found it much safer to reset the voicemail to defaults before changing the digit length on the phone system, and then reconfigure the voicemail. Your mileage may vary. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back