Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't log into remote desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simba327

MIS
Dec 4, 2002
US
I have several XP pro machines with remote desktop working fine. I am having a problem with one, the only one that wasn't a clean install of the OS. I can connect to the remote desktop, get the login prompt. If I put my password in wrong, it tells me. If I put it in correctly it tells me that "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively." I have tried three different users, all admin group and remote users group with the same results. Locally I have no problem logging into that machine. Any ideas?

You may find that when you try to log onto the RDP server from your "problem" desktop that the "Domain" in the RDP login screen has defaulted to the RDP server name rather than your Domain name.

I've been caught like that a couple times.

Hi simba327,
Where you ever able to reslove this issue? I am running to the exact same senerio as you did. Any hints you can give would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks,
Arshad

I had this same issue after an upgrade from Win2KPro. I edited the local security policy for remote login and added the user group/user that needed the remote desktop and it works like a champ. Enjoy!

Start, Run, secpol.msc
Click on User Rights Assignment
Double-click the fifth policy object "Allow logon through Terminal Services" and make sure Administrators and Remote Desktop Users are entered.

I should note the other reason for this error message: the users are not added as allowed in Remote Desktop. See:
If you are at Computer A and want to remote into Computer B, you must create as a local user on Computer B yourself as a new user with a password. Then you go to the Remote Desktop applet in System Properties, and add the new user as a valid remote desktop access client.

Thanks bcastner. That was my problem, the security policy.msc had nothing after the "Allow logon through Terminal Services".

Once I added those groups, it worked well. As a matter of fact, I am using the remote desktop on that machine to type this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back