Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't log in to Yahoo mail, Hotmail etc. Help, please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2004
US
Hi friends,

Strange situation. Couldn't get into hotmail et al so I edited the advanced privacy option in Tools in IE6. Still no dice. Figured it might be some adware hijacking.

So I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. Same problem! Yahoo! mail just sends me in a loop of logging in and getting "invalid password." Even though the password works just fine on another machine.

Hotmail puts me in a loop too...cannot get in!

Does anyone have any thoughts, please? Many thanks in advance!

HS.

Here's the weird error message I get from Hotmail (yahoo just keeps telling me I need to login). lI've disable the software firewall, enabled activex, checked the local time, run spybot....look at the weird -1 message!!!

A Hotmail account has been reserved for you.

Please be aware that after you activate your account it will remain active only if you:
Sign-in at least once within the next (-1) days.
Sign-in at least once every -1 days after the initial (-1) day period.
Click Activate My Account to continue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning to Hotmail?
We temporarily deactivated your account; all account content such as messages have been cleared.
Your account was temporarily deactivated because you have either:

Not signed in for at least -1 days.
Not signed within -1 days of registration or activation.
Chose to close your account in the last -1 days.
Click Activate My Account

Try pinging the address should come back as
207.68.172.239 (may not get a reply if you behind a firewall) If anything other then, check your hosts file (seach for hosts, no extension and open with notepad). ignore all the text at the begining and look for ip addresses.
if you see any other than
127.0.0.1 Local Host
you may want to remove them (first do a save as host.old so you can return to it if needed)
try connecting to hotmail using
Repeat for yahoo.
Hope this helps.

Stu

2 decades from retirement, 2 minutes from a breakdown

I also have this problem. I cannot log into Hotmail, it keeps asking me to retpye my password.

I have tried everything on the Microsoft Help thingy except to check if other users can use it. I will do that now...

Sorry, forgot to mention that I get this error after about 3 retpyes of my Password:

"The .NET Passport service is currently unavailable at this Web site for one of these reasons:

• The site may contain an error or be experiencing a problem that affects the .NET Passport service.
• The site may not be an official .NET Passport-participating site."

What could this mean?...

A server issue on the Microsoft side of things.
Try again later.

Bcast:

I get the same type of message on Yahoo! Mail, though.

Didn't think of looking at the hosts file. That's a good idea.

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

-HS

Try System Restoring back in time to when you could get in.

Linney,

This is a brand new machine, so the time it worked would be never.

Bcast,

Just reread your earlier post. The account expired? But I get this message on Yahoo!, #1, and #2, it does this with any hotmail account including ones I setup today!

Thanks again, fellows. Have a great day.

Interesting problem. Laptop otherwise appears to function tiptop.

-- HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back