Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Log in to my own database!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cradders

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
FR
I'm using Filemaker 7 on Mac.

Yesterday I began creating a database which now has seven different interrelated tables, multiple fields and calcualtions and scripts and now I CAN'T GET INTO IT.

I was working on a layout when it started behaving strangely: stopped showing me the new fields I was creating, so, realising I hadn't restarted (or even closed Filemaker) since I began working on it yesterday, I restarted my computer (Powerbook G4).

When it was back up I reopened the database and it opened to the layout I was having problems with before, seemingly working fine. I then encountered a problem I've been having where I accidentally created a field that both COULD NOT BE modified and HAD TO contain a value, and the only way I've found to get out of that cycle is to force quit, reopen and adjust the field settings in Define Database before continuing. (BTW how stupid is it that it lets you create this situation!?)

So I force quit Filemaker, tried to reopen the database as usual, and now it is demanding a username and password to let me in.

I never set it to ask for this and I have no idea what the data is it requires. It won't even let me in as a guest.

As I've spent two full days creating this very complicated database I'm sure you guys can appreciate I'm less than happy about this!

How can I get around the login and get in to the darn database?????

I'm holding my breath for your replies...

OK that didn't work either, sorry - any other ideas?

I tried all the combos of this I could think of:

Username: Admin
Password: Admin

Username: admin
Password: admin

Username: Admin / and admin with no password etc etc...

Help!!!!

Try a blank password.

Also, you should get the 7.0v3 update installed. It is supposed to have fixed a lot of problems. Probably won't fix the password problem... but maybe. It may also help prevent crashes.

-Striker

Was thinking that.

You should upgrade to V3 (a 'long' time ago), the behavior you have is a known bug in V1.

I hope for you V3 could resolve the problem, but I'm afraid it will be a 'rebuild'.
Do you have a backup from your work ?

Oh my god, JeanW you have to be kidding!

I don't have a backup - I've been working from home on this project, trying to get it done.... ARGH!

Is there no possible way to get past this login thing?

Striker - I tried blank password, I also tried blank username, no password - to no avail...

Any more ideas? Surely there is some way to hack round the login?

>>...you have to be kidding!

Nope, V1 was so unstable they should build something to prevent using it now.....

I have seen your problem (in V1) on other forums, with the same answer....rebuild.

Maybe, just maybe, one thing to try.
Upgrade to V3 and try a recover, not sure it will work, it's worth the try.

...and there is only one deseas that makes you better: backupomanie....

But from what you say, even if I'd had a backup I couldn't continue to use V1.

How on earth can they be getting away with this???

Surely this has happened to thousands of other people in this case, there must be some way around it??!!!!

Come on you techy guys and gals out there, help me Obiwan, pleeeeeaaase!!!

Cradders,

In pre 7 days you could send your DB to FileMaker and they could crack it open for you and reset the password. There are also password cracking tools available somewhere on the internet that could get into the older versions but I don't think they work with 7.

Tech-tips is a great forum for lots of subjects but there are bigger forums for FileMaker developers elsewhere and if you were to post on one of them you may find the definitive answer that you are looking for.

-Striker

I don't think it's FM itself.
It's more the force quit you did.

In all my years as developer as was locked out more than once. I'm not ashamed to say that. Probably all developers has that once in a while.
Endles loop, forgotten paswords, scripts and layouts going corupt for apperently no reason, a replace script that replaces not intended data....

But every time I had a backup, so minor data/work was lost.

I want (and others with me) to help you, to resolve the problem, even to give a workaround, but sometimes it's not possible, or somebody has to come up with a not knowing answer. But, like I stated above, even on other forums I find the same answer....
Or if somebody could have a copy from your file to try things out.....

Did you tried a blank username and only 'admin' as pasword ?

Hi Jean,

Yeah I tried all the combos I could possibly think of for username and password.

Thanks Striker for that download tip but it's a PC program so I couldn't get it to run on my Mac.

Does anyone know of an equivalent Filemaker 7 access cracking program for Mac?

A very disollusioned Cradders...

Cradders,

I'm a Windows guy; haven't touched a Mac since the early '90s.

Probably the best thing you can do now is learn from the experience. Backup often and backup your backups. Also keep on top of the software updates.

I've been there myself, I feel your pain.

-Striker

I'm a newbie here and hope this isn't against the rules. (I just signed up 1 minute ago.)

If you would like to send me the file, I'll get you back into it. No charge. (and no mysterious problems will appear that I'll 'need to charge you for') It'll only take a minute. jeff@deploytech.net

Oohps! Reviewing my post, I guess I didn't actually say I'll fix the problem.

So just to be clear... Send me the file and I'll fix the problem for you THEN send it right back to you.

--------------------------------
Jeff Duck
FileMaker 7 Certified Developer

Jeff,

You are a TOTAL lifesaver. I don't know if you used the force, but whatever you did, it worked and I am eternally grateful.

I also followed your advice for the auto-field populating and it worked a charm.

YAY!!!

This sure is one ecstatic Cradders, who - fully armed with backups and the V.3 upgrade will hopefully live a happy little Filemaker life ever after. (er, until the next thing I muddle up)

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back