Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't log in as admin since changing machine name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davest11

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
US
I'm running XP Pro, SP2. When I initially configured my machine, I just accepted the default machine name. Today, I changed the name of the machine and connected it to my company's domain using that name. Now, I can log into the domain properly, but I can't log into my local machine as an administrator. The new user that was created when I connected to the domain doesn't have admin rights to the local machine, and when I select the local machine at login, neither the administrator id or my regular login id will work (I get a "can't log you in" message.

Did something go wrong when I renamed the machine? Is there any way to recover this?

Thanks,

-Dave

What software is the server running? And what is your role. The new "machine" needs to be put in the same machine group as the old one. On a windows server, this would be in the AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back