Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't locate Modem after installing Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogywhoogy

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
CA
I both this crappy computer from MDG last year in April. I've serviced it 5 times since I've purchased their computer.

Recently, I've decided to remove Windows ME and install Windows 2000 since ME wasn't working well for me. After I installed Windows 2000, it cannot locate my modem. I have a 56K modem. I've lost my receipt so I don't know what kind of modem this is, hence, I cannot add it. I hate to contact MDG again since their services are terrible and rude. Can anyone tell me how I can find out what type of modem do I have?

MDG did not provide a manual or anything specifying the type of modem I have aside from it being on the original receipt which I don't have.

You should be able to open up the computer case and pull the modem out to look and see what kind it is. There should also be some type of ID # or s/n on it and if you go to the manufacturers website you should be able to enter the s/n or ID # and locate drivers for it.

Luck!

I had the same prob wit my 98 system I did a full reformat I had alot of trouble wit my drivers and the modem is still not working even though I think I have the right driver installed so be careful what u do and make sure u write alot down so ull remember next time u do that im still in the process of trying to get windows to reconize my modem this didnt help much but just giving support

Joshs328

Check device manager for a conflict.If it shows a conflict with a serial port re-install the drivers and point to the modem drivers.

I opened up my computer and found the SN and product number on my modem:

SN: 24AXGBNABK3T
Product: 3CP263595A - OEM
Computer purchased from: MDG

I went to MDG website and they have a number of drivers. How do I know which one will be suitable for my computer?

I called back MDG and asked them 1 year ago, what is the modem that they sell. They only had 1 type at that time and didn't think it would be hard to find out. Well, I was transferred 4 times and they "think" it's an intel while another told me it could be "canster?". Their service is as bad as their computers, so I am back to square one. Any ideas how I can get my modem back on line?

Try this

Make sure you click on the Windows 2000 driver. You have a US Robotics modem.

MD-USR-3595A 20001726 USR v.90 PCI w /voice
(3CP263595A-OEM)

Hope this helps! ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I found my receipt for my computer. I have a 56 USR WIN Modem (ME Operating System).

I tried downloading the driver MD-USR-3595A 20001726 USR v.90 PCI w /voice
(3CP263595A-OEM)

and it still doesn't work. It's not picking up a modem name.

What am I doing wrong?

BG

Oh gosh I hate WINMODEMS!!!!

OMG good luck with that one...

since it is a SOFTWARE modem it uses software installed into windows, instead of chips on the board of the modem. and can be a pain to get installed correctly. make sure you have the right software/drivers for your modem , and I have even taken a couple of them back that still wouldnt work right.

In my opinion I would just get a new modem... you can purchase a ok one around 40 dollars... from a wholesale shop or a website.

FatesWebb js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

There are some modems out there where you have to install the software first then install the modem. I'm not sure if this is one or not, but it isn't working now so what's the harm. Uninstall the software, remove the modem out of device manager, shut down, then take the modem out of the case. Restart Windows install the software, shutdown the computer, put the modem in and see if it picks it up.

It has been my experience that US Robotics modems are a pain to install, hardware driven or software driven! ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

buy a external modem they work a treat, because you can turn them of and on and you can use the USB port
USR external modem are great, i have one and have no problems

THese guys have you on the right track. Winmodems are a complete pain. I have a couple winmodems here that I have tried (one for quite some time) to get installed on a Win2K Server... I finally gave up and bought a $50 SupraMax modem and it installed with absolutely no problems. Note- it wasn't a Winmodem.

FatesWebb was right on... Winmodems are completely dependent upon software. If you have software for your modem, be sure to reinstall it, though it sounds like you probably don't.

Has anyone here actually gotten a Winmodem to work under W2k??? I bet if you were running Win98 it would install without a hitch ;-) Good choice to get rid of ME, though. Inmy opinion, that operating system was worthless.

At this point, if I were you, I'd just buy a new modem. You can find chip based (non-winmodems) that are W2K compatible from anywhere between $10-$100 depending on where you look and what you want to spend. Externals are very nice, but they are a bit more expensive.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back