Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't list files in FTP folder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregski24

Technical User
Nov 3, 2002
US
When I use a browser or an FTP client, I can connect to my FTP site, but the files wont list. I use IIS 5.0, on a Win2K Professional system.
Using WS_FTP LE I get the error:

connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port xxxx
LIST
426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
! Retrieve of folder listing failed (4)

Using a browser I get the message:
An error occured opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.
Details: The connection to the server was reset.

In both cases, a connection is established, but is disconnected while trying to list the contents of the folder. I have allowed all permissions to every user group with the same result. I followed several of the examples given in this forum, without success. Has anyone seen this before and/or know how to fix it? By the way, the web server is working fine.

I had the same problem.
What I did was: in the session properties dialog box, click on the advanced tab, and uncheck the "passive transfers" checkbox.
That worked for me. I hope it helps.
tennek

Hey Gregski and Tennek

I have the same problem with FTP can you tennek be more specific? cause I can not find the Session Property, Where is it Default FTP or property dialog? Please give me more details, that should help me alot.

Thanks to all you guys.

Good question.
I just got around to trying it myself (I originally submitted this post last year) and I can't find it either.
Tennek . . . where exactly do we find the session properties dialog box? Are you referring to the FTP client session? (using the WS_FTP LE for example)If so, I tried that and it didn't work.
Where can I find more specific information on setting up an FTP server on W2K Pro?

There is plenty of information online about setting up ftp servers. Passive transfer is an ftp client option. The ftp server is configured by default to allow administrators (e.g., "administrator") to access it and basically no one else.

You have to give the connecting account permission to access the site within IIS ftp properties, security, for that site.

Finally, the user must also have at least read permission on the files themselves. Judging from the error message you quoted, I doubt that is the problem. It's more likely to be the account.

Len

Hello guys,

I was getting this same error, and what you need to do is as follows:
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click "Tools/Internet Options", then click on the "Advanced" tab. Then scroll down under the "Browsing section" (the second to last item in that section) and check "use PassiveFTP".

Thanks for the good site.

Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back