Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't label a tape in Tru64 5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishmoon

Vendor
Apr 8, 2003
US
We have a 52 Tape 4 Drive SDLT Library (Compaq MSL5052). Running Legato Networker 6.1.3 on Tru64 - Library is attached to a SAN. When I try to lable a tape through the GUI it goes through the process then says labling complete (we have barcodes). Then when I try to mount the tape it says "expecting "GHZ354" recieved "-" dosent match" or something to that effect? any ideas would be great. I am new to Legato so maybe I am missing a step or something!
-Thanks

Not familiar with your particular setup, but here's the first steps I would try (generic):

1) Clean your drives.
2) nsrjb -HE
3) nsrjb -I -S 1-52

Chapter 11 Thank you for the response!
I tried those commands and it resets and inventories the Library - but still the same problem when we try to mount a tape.
Here is the error we get:
Notice!
expected volume 'GHZ354' got '-'
It almost seems to me like it is not writting a lable to the tape?
Thank you for any suggestions!

Ugh. Sorry that didn't help. I hope someone else can render assistance in your particular configuration. My next step would be to delete the autochanger resource and re-add it, as it sounds like something is out-of-sync somewhere.

I noticed that the devices (drives) reside in the /dev/ntape directory - I wonder if they should be in the /dev/tape. ntape stands for no rewind - does anybody know if this could be a problem?
-thanks

If your drives has not been configured using persistant bindings, a reboot or a fabric reset can jumble the order of your tapedrives. Are you sure, that the order has not been altered? This is easy to check by unmounting all your drives except for one, and then do "mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn status" (wich is where my drives are sitting). By using this on all your drives, you can see if the tape in the physical drive actually reassembles the logical drive that Legato thinks it's using.

Right, my english is not quite good enough for this, but I hope you catch my drift anyway :)

Thanks for the reply's
It shows all four of my drives as unmounted - when I try to mount a drive with a tape I get the error:
Notice!
expected volume 'GHZ354' got '-'
these are the steps I take-
I select the drive then the mount button on the speed menu - then I get a box with the tapes listed - I select the tape with a default pool and say ok -
then it come back with that error

thanks

Try not using bar codes....

See if you get the same problem. If problem goes away, then there may be a problem with your bar code reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back