Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Joint the Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesFox

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
US
Windows XP Pro (SP2) running on laptop.

Was formerly connected to the domain, had some problems and had to take out of domain. Got things fixed and tried to rejoin domain. Two symptoms based upon the value I enter in the domain field.

1.) if mydomain.com is entered I get a network path not found error?
2.) if mydomain is entered I get "a domain controller for the domain mydomain could not be contacted"

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,
Desmond

I am guessing that the computer account will still exist on the domain, and that it will not let the machine back on with the same name.

I would check the Active Directory for the machine's account and delete it there, then try and add it to the domain again.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Able to ping the DC? Able to resolve the DC via name?

The first one is to ensure that connectivity is still there. The second, is to check your DNS settings....

Is this a static IP, or DHCP network? Did you end up with a non-routable IP?

Thank you for responses:

Removed the computer from AD and no joy. Same error

Was able to ping the DC (ping mydomainname.com)

When I try to ping mydomainname cannot resolve host (resolve DC via name?)

DHCP network

what server are you running? Have you tried mydomain.local?

Also, are you logged on as Laptop Admin, and is that Admin a Domain Admin, or do you have access to a domain admin password? If not laptop admin, is your username in the admin group? Since you removed the computer from the AD, did you also remove the user name?

I had an instance where I had to join a different domain (or workgroup) reboot, get established in the workgroup, then try to join the domain again, logged on as the Local Admin of the PC with the "local" domain setting from the drop down menu.

network path not found" is not an indication of a rights issue. So you can worry about Admin rights later.

If you can ping mydomainname.com, then you shouldn't get that error about the path when you include the ".com". It just doesn't make sense.

There could be something going on with the NIC. On another working PC, try removing it from the domain and rejoining it. If it works there, then you know you have the rights you need and the DC is functioning as it should.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back