Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't join new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

enak

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
I got a new server and put W2K3 Enterprise on it. I can not join the domain. I can hook up to the network and see the server but it won't let me join.

I have created the user that I am trying to join as. I am not a network person. This is a test server that I use to test my development projects so you can see that I may need a lot of help.

I have created Forward and Reverse zones. I took the default values.

The server is setup as DevServer and the domain is MyDomain.com.

Thanks,
enak

do you have an existing 2000 domain?

try joining with a user that is a domain admin to add it to the domain.

and make sure that you have specified your domain dns server in the ip settings and given your 2003 server a static ip too.

Aftertaf
________
I reserve the right to be wrong, be confused, be suffering because it is monday, or because it is nearly the weekend.

I do not have an existing 2000 domain. I have used the domain admin to join but it did not work.

I have a Linksys router that has the static ip so the server gets 191.168.1.101 from the router.

I was trying to join from another W2K3 server that I use as my development machine.

run Nslookup to see who is answering the query,
you may have to add local host file, the ip address of the
domain controller as well
Good luck
oz

Make sure that you have AD/DNS server setup like this:

Server:
IP: 191.168.1.101
DNS1: 191.168.1.101 <--server must point to itself for DNS
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Client:
IP: 191.168.1.200
DNS1: 191.168.1.101 <-- Client must point to your win server for DNS
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

All internal windows clients must point to the Windows DNS servers. They should not be pointed directly to the Internet for DNS. DNS is needed for resolution and for the client to "talk" to active directory.

The server should also point to itself for DNS resolution.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

That looks very helpful. I will try it.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back