Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install XP on a compaq laptop 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
I have a Compaq Presario C774TU. It came with Vista Basic Home on it, and I wiped it and have had Arch Linux on it for the past year.

I'm now giving the laptop to my bother who wants XP on it. I have a licensed copy of XP SP3 and decided to install...

However it would go to a black screen shortly after 'Inspecting hardware'. Tried disabling the native SATA support, no luck. I've also tried creating a custom install disk using nLite and the Windows SATA drivers, however it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Are the settings in the Bios correct for XP? See what these say about AHCI and other Bios settings.

Why is Format greyed out in WinXP 'Manage' ?
thread779-1509384

Vista laptop with same drive cannot install XP
thread779-1428969

Try reformatting the disk for say FAT32 using something like mulinux.

Try this:

go into the BIOS setup, look for LOAD DEFAULT VALUES (usually F5 but on laptops it may be differen), then EXIT and SAVE...

on reboot, back into the BIOS setup and change the SATA setting, disabling NATIVE SUPPORT, then EXIT and SAVE...

now attempt to install XP again...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

xwb: Used cfdisk (linux) to change the partition signature to NTFS, then used ntfsprogs to make a NTFS filesystem on it. Still no luck.

BadBigBen: That was one of the first things I tried.

I'm giving up & putting Vista on it. The Vista disk boots properly and starts the install.

Still would like to know WTF is going on with XP...as this laptop runs like a pig with Vista, even when it is adjusted for best performance.

I had that happen one time, turned out to be the BIOS support for the optical drive. Flashed the BIOS and solved the problem.

David.

Any errors in the Device Manager, or in the Event Viewer?

DTracey, that is the one thing I haven't attempted yet...flashing the BIOS. Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Linney, there is currently no OS on the laptop. The drive has been formatted, and I have been attempting a clean install.

Yep, all removed.

Even so, I've installed Windows over Linux many a time (including laptops). When I switch it on, if it boots off HDD I get an invalid system disk error. So the MBR is gone.

I hoping it's the BIOS version. That will be my last ditch attempt!

One thing.

Is the partion still the same as from Linux?

I would remove the partion completly. Create new partion and THEN reformat.

In fact I would get a copy of Darik's Boot n Nuke and hit it with that.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

DTracey, Flashed the BIOS...installing XP as we speak.

Star for you.

Was a mission to get XP installed, but is now done! Thanks to everyone that helped.

Now I have the issue of getting all the drivers I need...VGA, NIC, etc...but that is the easy part!

Cheers guys.

Leave yourself an admin login - tell your brother that it is for maintenance. You may get a call sooner or later where he's screwed up settings and you need another way of getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back