Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

yippiekyyay

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
CA
Hello,

When I bought my computer it was running windows 98 (the guy gave me a copy and boot disk). I went out and bought the full version of XP Home right away and formatted the hard drive in preparation.

It needed a boot disk so I used the WIN98 one the guy gave me. Then I tried using my new WINXP disc but it wouldn't take! - I ended up having to install the illegal copy of 98 and then installing XP from within 98!

I'm in a position now where I need to format my hard drive again. This time I have a boot disk created from my WINXP installation. Should that resolve my situation from earlier, or is it likely that I'm going to run into the same problem again? (ie is XP even able to install from the DOS prompt?)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Sean

Did you try seting you CD Rom as first boot divice in the bios, you should be able to boot start your CD XP disk from your CD rom.

I have done this since actually. But once I format my hard drive, will it still be able to run the CD rom?

If you set your BIOS to boot from CD and you have a fairly new CD-ROM, then it will boot straight into XP setup. Yuo can test this before wiping your hard drive by changing the BIOS and putting your CD into the drive - just quit setup after it starts (or keep going, wipe the drive, reinstall and job done!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back