Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't install windows, missing files during install, multiple tries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mldmld

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have an HP desktop that was giving me errors. Telling me Windows files were missing. So i figured I would reinstall Windows XP

During the install process, when Setup is copying files, I get errors that certain files can't be copied, ie SP2.cab, and other inf and dll files. So the Install eventually crashes and gives me a blue screen. I have tried Windows XP Pro, the HP recovery CD's, and Windows 2000, but none will install, and certain files are missing.

I have tried to install a new motherboard, different hard drive, and different cd drive, but still the same thing. No OS will install.

The only thing i might try is new cables to hard drive and cd drive. I don't want to buy a new AMD processor too, but I might

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

looks good!! will try tonite. Thanks

It was the memory, one of the pc3200 sticks was bad or causing a conflict. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back