Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install operating system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaTreyster

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
I have a Compaq Armada E500 laptop (450mhz). I recently began having problems with it crashing. It would reboot so fast I couldn't read the error messages. I was running a dual boot system, Win98 and XP Pro. The problem happened in both operating systems, but less often in 98 than XP. The system worked fine for over a year before the problem started. I was thinking it might be a problem with my disk, so I ran scandisk, it found 2 bad sectors. I decided to wipe the drive, do a low level format, repartition, reinstall and start over. The problem is I can't install either system now. I get error messages during the install. (After much tinkering I have got 98 to install, but it crashed very quickly and won't boot now.) As a side note, I can boot to a 98 startup disk, and have no problems in that enviroment. I can copy, scandisk, fdisk, edit, mkdir, navigate drives and every other thing I should be able to do there, without crashing. The crash error messages I get in 98 is as follows:

"Invalid VxD dynamic link call todevice number 3, service b. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run windows setup to correct this problem."

Of course when I try to run setup, I get crashes. Another error I get is:

Standard mode: fault outside of MS-DOS extender.
EC=0000 CS=0397 IP=3E03 AX=036F BX=0120 CX=0120 DX=0001 SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=036F SS=027F SP=0FA2

Installing Xp causes the following error:

_______(various names) file could not be loaded. Error code 4 (also code 7, but usually 4)

I have also on occasion got one that said the file was corrupted.

Can anyone offer any insight??? I think it is probably a hardware problem, but am not 100% sure. Any ideas???

Howdy:

It could be hardware, but did you disable the onboard anti-virus program BEFORE you re-installed ??

Murray

Might try bios updates. Also if you haven't done it yet you might download a startup disk from Mcaffee to scan for a virus that is blocking access. Virus problems usually start as annoyances and progressively get worse, which my account for the issues before wiping the disk.

GSFDigital

I have no antivirus function in my bios, and it is the most up to date bios for my system. I didn't know you could download a disk to virus scan, I was hoping to get the system up long enough to instakl an antivirus program to scan it. I DID do several scans before I formatted the drive, and all came up clean. I'll try the download idea.

Ok, does anyone know where I can download a free antivirus program that will operate from floppy??? McAfee and a few others will do the free online check...but it's hard to do when you can't install an operating system...lol.

[tt]I take care of several Armada E500s, but have never encountered the above message that you described. I've even upgraded one of my NBs' OS from Win98 to WinXP Pro, with no problems(of course, I reformatted the hard drive/partitions to NTFS during setup). Do you have any PCMCIA cards plugged in? Do plug it out before you reinstall the OS. I suggest you use the WinXP setup disk and reinstall WinXP. Is the WinXP setup CD an original?
However, didn't the notebook come with some setup disks? You could try those first.
You can also do a little cleaning of the CD-ROM drive head, many drive head cleaners availablein the market.(Just an after thought though ;-) but you never know, these Armadas are old anyway)
Give my suggestions a try. Never had any probs with the BIOS so I dont have any suggestions on that as yet.

Good Luck!

relaksuah, thanks for the ideas. I have already cleaned the cd optics, with no change. There are no pcmcia cards currently in the slot. I bought this computer on ebay, and the factory original disks did not come with it. I didn't think this was a problem, because I have original disks for all my software, 98 and XP, and you can download all the current driver updates from the Compaq site, which I do pretty regularly. I imagine the Compaq disks will just have these things on them anyway.

How much memory do you have in the laptop? If you have more that 256 that may be your problem!

Try knocking the memory down to 128 to build the OS and then add the memory when you've completed the install!

I've seen that type of error before where it's memory related!

Worth a try!

Cheers,
Carl.

[tt]Hi DaTreyster, have you tried taking out the cd-rom drive from the bay and cleaning the contacts? The errors could also be due to memory failure, either RAM or HDD. Do you have any spare NB RAMs or NB HDDs to use for testing? My bet is on the HDD though, but I cant really tell much from here.
On the drivers, you dont need the drivers yet before installing the OS. Windows has default drivers which can be used (e.g.default SVGA) before you install the right drivers, so it should still be able to run.
On installing WinXP, if the drivers cant load it then I'd think like what I had suggested earlier(bad RAM or HDD) or that your CD may be scratched? A corrupted file shouldnt be there anyway.
Things to look into, if you haven't done so already. The Compaq Armada E500s have been quite ok anyways, except for the occasional short battery lifespan (It was still under warranty so I just got the vendor to replace it ;-) )

Can you get to a command prompt?

If so, run a debug on the hard drive, it will wipe everything off of it, including any virus you may have.

has debug scripts for everything, just go there and search for debug.

okay most likely problem relates back to the fact you had bad sectors..as you know bad sectors are well...bad...it is posible tha installation has put some of the sys files or loader files on one or both of theses bad sectors ...not really much you can do if this is the case recomended to dich the hard drive (only if this is the prob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back