Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install Nortel Contivity/Extranet Access Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvajgrt

Technical User
Nov 12, 2003
US
When I try to install the Nortel Contivity/Extranet Access Client client, get the error message:

"Failed to get Registry key value for NT_IPSECSHM"

and installation fails. I am using Windows XP and SBC Yahoo ADSL connection. I found tip at which says to edit the registry value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - System - CurrentControlSet - ENUM - ROOT - NT_IPSECSHM, but I do not have a NT-IPSECSHM entry there. When I look at the connection in "Network Connections" in control panel it shows the DSL connection going through WAN Miniport??

I had an older version of VPN installed on this same computer about 6 months ago, but uninstalled it. Could this somehow have removed the NT_IPSECSHM?

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
Rachel

Since you had a VPN client installed previously you need to hack the registry to remove all traces or re-install windows.

Was this older vpn client Nortel or Cisco ? Nortel vpn client does not Like any other vendors vpn client installed.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

A utility was given to me for removing old EAC drivers/registry entries before installing newer contivity clients.

Hope this helps.

Jason Carr
PEI Dept. of Health and Social Services
Systems Administrator

I'm having the same issue with a Win2k client and the Nortel VPN client. Has anyone found the fix regarding the "failed to get registry key value for NT_IPSECSHM" error?? I also tried to input the key in the reg, but got the same error. Any ideas?

adlermike1 (TechnicalUser) on Jan 12, 2004 wrote:

... When I run VPN client, I get the following message:
"A configuration error on this computer is prventing this connection. For further assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for this error number". Problem is, there is no "More Info" button, and no error number on the error dialog.

I am having the same problem. Since it's a long time since Jan, I take it that you have solved this problem. Could you post the solution for me, please!

Thanks and Regards,

---raj

When trying to uninstall I recieve an error: Unable to find specified file. When trying to install I get an error: Installation of Client drivers failed. Any one have any ideas?

I got this error too. For me it was because I has Cisco VPN running as a service. After I stopped the Cisco service the contivity install proceeded ok.

Now when I need to use Cisco VPN I just manually start it in services.

I covered this issue, as well as a plethera of other Nortel Contivity issues in my FAQ.

faq595-4134

Hope that helps...

Cheers!

edemiere

all the solutions require the NT_IPSECSHM to exist in the registry, but this path doesn't exist in my registry.
How do I solve the problem ?

i did a search for NT_IPSECSHM in the registry and I found an entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

there i have folders 0000 -> 0009 and I found the entry under 0006 : DriverDesc REG_SZ Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter.

p27br:

My recommendation would be that if it doesn't exist to create it and see if your problem goes away.

Most things that require registry editing (in cases like this one) is usually because a setting is simply missing or has the wrong parameters. If the parameters are wrong, you simply fix them. However, if the keys/values are missing, you need to add them.

I think my FAQ details it fairly well. Give it a shot and let me know what happens.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back