Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't install geforce video drivers in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroholic

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
Please help me with a problem I have never experienced before. I recently built a new system with an Asus P4PE mb, P4 2.4, 1 gig pc2700 ram, and geforce ti4600. No other peripherals are installed at this time. I formatted the drive and did a clean install of XP. I then installed all of the mb's drivers and did all of the windows updates. I have the latest bios version as well. The problem occurs when I try to install the video card. Everytime it finishes copying the files it reboots the computer without prompting me and does not finish the installation. I figured that XP was doing this because of incompatable software so I tried several different drivers (both signed and unsigned) each time deleting the previous attempt's files and rebooting before a new attempt. Every time with the same result, except that some drivers will give a BSOD before it reboots itself. This has got to be a software issue but just to make sure I've triple checked all of my bios settings (vga pallette snoop, video bios cache, PnP OS installed, etc.). I know there are mb/video card setups like mine out there running just fine so what am I doing wrong? There is nothing physically wrong with the mb or video card. The display is fine except for the fact that the drivers will not install. I've searched a lot of forums including this one and the Microsoft knowlegde base for answers, but to no avail. Help, I can't figure this out!

Check your BIOS and see if FAST WRITES are enabled I had this happen on a machine and when I set fast writes it fixed it.

Otherwise check the FAQ's at Nvidia.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

have you tried booting in safe mode first? some boards require you to set the video at standard VGA prior to doing an upgrade of a video card. you can boot in safe mode on asus boards by pressing F8 after boot sequence starts up.. then select safe mode and once up and running you can then configure the card. ALL modern video cards are hard coded to at least boot to standard vga. Alsomake sure you have the most current drivers for your card downloaded and ready to put in when windows requests them. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks for the replies guys. After trying everything under the sun and then some, I took the card to a friends house and tested it in his computer. Exact same problem. SO, it looks like I got a fried card. Better that than the new motherboard. Hopefully, newegg.com will get me a new card by Thurs. Thanks again for the help.

[gorgeous]Before you buy a new card, check this out first. When you installed the drivers, after installing the os, did you make sure that you followed the proper sequence? That's chipset driver first, then the video, and everything else comes after. If you need to install a DirectX driver, then the sequence would be chipset, DirectX, then video. But remember that almost always, the video driver follows the chipset. If you don't do it that way, you'll encounter problems.

Yes, I'm sure I did the procedure correctly. I suppose the biggest clue that it was a defective card was during the POST screen. As soon as the computer booted the monitor showed several verticle blue lines that would flash on and off. This is long before the OS was running and before any drivers could take over the display. Anyway, I should have a new card sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back