Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install files

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
System (SP2) has been running fine for weeks. This morning my Norton Live Update wouldn't install the latest update. After further checking, I found NO files will install. I get error: "xxxx is not a valid Win32 application". This holds true for .exe and .msi. programs. Copied an old .exe file to see if it was a corrupt d/l problem - nope. Nothing changed in last 2 days. Ran AdAware and Norton Anti-virus, no baddies. My Norton files are updated through the 6th, so it worked up to then. Any ideas?

Nevermind Bill, found it on a different page.

Boy, you guys are too quick! You replied before I could correct my message.

idsable the SP2 and update norton. the question is what kind of norton software you have on your computer?

OK - I gave up!
1. Couldn't roll back SP2.
2. Tried to repair XP - no go.
3. Re-installed Xp - lost everything, my data backups wouldn't work right. SP2 had problems.
4. When I first installed SP2, I made a Ghost image (two months old). Had to install it (didn't want to, as I had a network problem at the time - better than nothing!). Now I have to re-install everything from the last two months. Aren't images wonderful?

I was doubtful myself of a repair re-install in this case. What troubled me was that a CMD session opens an EXE file (or MSI or whatever) with a completely different process than does either Start, Run, filename.exe, or does XP when you double-click a file.

Whatver malware you received (and it looks from some other posts you are not alone...I have yet to see anyone pin this down as of yet) it is capable enough of disabling the Windows APIs for running files, as well as the CMD services functions, all while leaving file association entries for EXE, etc. alone.

I'd love to know what this is, but at the moment a clean install seems like the only realistic choice.

I am interested micker377 as you have GoBack installed why a GoBack revert was not tried?

Go-Back was tried. I went back 2 days before this started (that was the 6th mentioned)- with no help. The next time I tried, all the previous Go-Back files had been wiped out. As you probably know, Go-Back also lists "Restore Points" in conjunction with SysRestore. They were gone too! What is really strange, is that some of my games (with exe), would work and some wouldn't. Just as some exe driven utilities would work and some not. When trying to roll back SP2, the program worked until it got to the "uninstall files" part. The system32 files would give an error (couldn't delete, try again), and then delete on the try again (3 to 5 seconds each). Do you know how many sys32 files there are? <grin> Anyway, it's OK now - just going to do an image more often! Thanks for all the suggestions, it just seems like this is a problem "out of my league".

Perhaps you should take the opportunity to look around at the Security type of programs others are running and see if you can improve yours even further.

One of the best preventions is to make sure you only surf the internet as a limited user and not as an Administrator user. This will limit the damage done to your machine as a result of anything downloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back